No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeep math.... The week plus saga wrapped up yesterday. The wife’s Jeep needed $1275 worth of tires. Instead, I bought a set of 5 takeoff wheels with PO mileage from the dealer to his house for $600. It wasn’t without pain, but the pain was mostly self inflicted. The new wheels sure are shiny.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Dropped the gearcase off an 8HP Evinrude outboard, yesterday. Was blowing steam. Impeller replacement and thermostat clean out on Thursday.

This evening replaced a starter motor brush in the GS650G. Stopped cranking this morning, had to bump start her to get to work and back. Had a new spare in the box. About an hour to do, carbs and cam chain tensioner off to get the starter out.

Bike got all Christmassy today, thanks to my workmates.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
      ​​
      Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Opened the microwave oven to find out why it was cutting out randomly.
        The three door switches are one shot plastic rivet melted to the plastic switch carrier, no adjustment, no replacement without major surgery.
        The main push button circuit board was a bit loose on it's mounting screws.
        Flooded them all with alcohol and so far so good.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Put heated grips on the 850 yesterday evening. Going to go for a test ride today
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Finished adapting the used Shindegan rr to the ‘79 gs1000 electrical panel. Getting closer to completing the list for a spring launch.
            1979 GS1000
            1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Adjusted the valves on the project 81 650e and then spent the next 4 hours scrapping the cover gasket off the head. I have never seen one glued that tight.What a PIA
              Jerry
              1981 GS650E
              1982 GS1100E
              2018 Can AM Spyder
              1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Put a Shinko 712 on the rear of the 79. New chain and sprocket set goes on tomorrow.
                At least I won't be able to use that excuse for not riding it once riding weather gets here.

Who am I kidding? Still got lots of work to do before the next ride.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Thinking it might be good to replace the pads on the Triumph before heading south for a few weeks.

They just don't make them like they used to. Only got 24,000 miles on the originals 😁........

IMG_20220111_132245769 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20220111_132317043 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
                  Last edited by alke46; 01-12-2022, 04:10 AM.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I used a wire brush on a drill to remove 30 years of rust, grease and road muck from the chain adjusters and axels of my GSX400FX. Then I primed and painted then. It's probably futile but satisfying all the same.IMG_20220117_221144.jpg
                    Last edited by LeT; 01-20-2022, 12:12 AM.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Finished cleaning up the valves of the GS1000E today, getting closer to start the process of lapping the valves and then start putting the top end back together unless I run into more stuff that needs attention. Got to check the valve guides for sure, I think #3 exhaust might have to be replaced. Don't know for sure yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this to see if posting pictures from flickr is still as easy on this newly updated forum.

IMG_20220314_153023549 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20220314_152942722 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

And it looks like it still works just fine.

edit: this is what happens when you get old and have too much spare time.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Those look good enough to eat off of, Larry. Nice job. Yes, the pictures posted fine.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Finished cleaning up the valves of the GS1000E today, getting closer to start the process of lapping the valves and then start putting the top end back together unless I run into more stuff that needs attention. Got to check the valve guides for sure, I think #3 exhaust might have to be replaced. Don't know for sure yet.

Larry,

You are aware that carbon deposits are what holds these old motors together aren't you? LOL

Nice work!
                          Ron
                          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Very pretty Larry; I can almost brush my teeth in them
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Larry,

You are aware that carbon deposits are what holds these old motors together aren't you? LOL

Nice work![/QUOTE]

I've got lots of RTV sealant for that. I might just paint the engine with RTV

Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post

Larry,

Nice work!
                                Hey! We have a LIKE BUTTON now!
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X