No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to tidying up some wiring. Replaced the cheap, build-your-own SH775 connectors with the good ones from Triumph, and replaced the old broken fuse box plug with a new block and terminal ends from Vintage Connections.

out with the old:

in with the new:
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yesterday I pulled the OEM intercooler and piping out of the Abarth....

Quite a few panel fasteners involved....

Today, the new one goes in...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        I'll move my work and personal computers into the office tomorrow then give my old desk to my youngest son since he'll be doing more remote classwork. I also need to build him a new computer since my younger daughter's laptop really isn't doing the job anymore.
        Building a new computer can be fun. I regard MS Windows 10, and its latest browser, as malware. Meaning that they are designed, from the ground up, to spy on users. Good luck!
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Went and checked out a KLR650 for my brother today. He's picking it up on Thursday. I'll wait until summer to get one.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
            Building a new computer can be fun. I regard MS Windows 10, and its latest browser, as malware. Meaning that they are designed, from the ground up, to spy on users. Good luck!
            I have built several over the years and I agree Edge is crap. I made the move to Firefox on my home system last year and Chrome at work a few months ago.
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Applied some Supertrapp muffling to the output of the Delkevic silencer.
              It's not what you would call quiet, but it's knocked the noise down a lot, and I notice that around 3 to 4K it goes through a relatively quiet period, so that will be good for in-town riding.
              Excuse the rubbish welding, my back was killing me bending over the makeshift bench.

---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Having fun this weekend trying to get the head off the Kat so I can swap in my freshly rebuilt one. The manual says "lift the head straight up". Yeah right! I've tried the rubber mallet on the non-finned areas as well but no joy yet. The struggle continues.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pete, I've never had any luck with a rubber mallet for anything, but hammering on a wooden dowel/stick upward at select locations all round can do it...A short piece of lumber can serve as a wooden mallet too...very last resort! can be a sharp chisel gently at select places all-round ..ie where there's lots of "meat"

Comment

Ah I didn't come back to this thread this morning, but yes my experience with rubber mallets has been exactly the same, not helpful at all! I did manage to get it separated from the cylinders last night exactly as you say using a bit of timber. I haven't removed it yet as I'll need to rope a second set of hands in this morning, but the hammer and timber most definitely got the seal broken and ready to remove.

sigpic

Comment

I have a 40+ yo mallet, rubber on one face, hard plastic on the other. B0th sides have been very useful to me over the decades.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I ended up using a soft bit of timber and a lump hammer, problem was solved pretty quickly with no damage to the head

Head's now all swapped out and looking good, update in my Kat thread if you're overly keen.

sigpic

Comment

Changed out the RF600R's voltage regulator today. Still over charging..... hmm......
                          2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                          2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                            Changed out the RF600R's voltage regulator today. Still over charging..... hmm......
                            Maybe bad ground, specifically to the RR or the mounting bracket it is mounted on. No ground, no regulation...
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Re-assembled the carbs on the skunk this morning. (After 4 days of cleaning.)

It's a whole lot of fun when you get a set of carbs already broken down in a box!

Amazingly, they were all there, minus the circlips that go on the choke plunger rods.
                              Ron
                              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Installed the carbs on the skunk today. Stuck a battery in it and connected the auxillary fuel tank. Guess what...IT'S ALIVE!

It actually sounded pretty good! Idles well and revs like it should. Love the sound of the Kerker! No smoke or unusual loud engine noises. Shifts thru the gears like it should. Most of the electrics seem to be working.

Guess I'll have to get it road-worthy now!
                                Ron
                                When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                                1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                                1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                                1982 GS1100E
                                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Working...
                                X