Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat dye with the right sheen for GS1100E?

Default Seat dye with the right sheen for GS1100E?

I've got a unicorn GS1100E seat, not split. I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild. Unfortunately it has silver paint spots on it and I don't see any way these will come out.

I'm thinking of spray dye, having used Mar Hyde a long time ago with great results on an entire interior, cough cough. It was actually pretty amazing stuff. The thing is I'd like to capture the original level of sheen if possible. VHT makes a satin, others make a flat. Has anyone done this to good effect on a MC seat and what did you use?

Tom

Figured I'd try Goof Off, used a brush and wiped off quickly, took the paint off well. It's a bit more faded than the strap which is off my other seat as the metal fastening tabs and stitching are better.

Tom

That turned-out well,no more paint spots.

Not a bad result, at all.
    In fact, you can't see the clenching marks of the PO when he gave it max beans.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Haha, yes, PO clench marks, yeah that's it...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    Not a bad result, at all.
    In fact, you can't see the clenching marks of the PO when he gave it max beans.
    Tom

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Glad you got this sorted. I was cringing over the dye idea.

Dang, that old "82" champagne color, gold wheels, shorter turn signals?? You got any complete pictures of it? That thing looks really nice. Now to get the new one looking like that. Good luck
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Sure here you go. Wheels are EPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    Dang, that old "82" champagne color, gold wheels, shorter turn signals?? You got any complete pictures of it? That thing looks really nice. Now to get the new one looking like that. Good luck
    Tom

Yeah I get it but I used the Mar Hyde stuff on a car ('71 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe) years ago due to discolorations that just wouldn't come out of the cheap thin vinyl, especially the headliner, and won most original of the Fiats at the Best of France and Italy show in Woodley Park in Van Nuys one year. I suppose if it were a German car show they would have been examining the threads and taking chemical samples

It lasted years and never transferred from the seats. I was stunned how well it worked, at least the Mar Hyde stuff I used, but I'm sure I inhaled a lot of carcinogens in the process and as it gassed out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    Glad you got this sorted. I was cringing over the dye idea.
    Tom

That is really nice, I love the way it looks so close to orig while being so far from orig. Scale of 1 to 10, I'll give you a 26. Congrats, & thanks for the picture.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100