No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Echo leaf blower has been an incredibly dependable machine for the last 15 years, but it has become a bit cold blooded over the last few years. I figured it was the carburetor.
    The other day it straight up gave me the finger and did nothing. The plug was either bone dry or soaked. I took it apart checked the carb, etc. nothing. Compression was good, spark was good. I bought a cheap Chinese kit from eBay to replace the cheap Chinese OE carb. It came with an equally cheap Chinese spark plug, fuel lines and an incorrect air filter- for $14, free shipping. It arrived, I installed it, and.... same exact thing. I was frustrated and felt like a low level parts changer.

Licking my wounds, I turned to YouTube. A million carb replacement videos and only one that made sense and was a quiet whisper in the back of my mind.
    Spark timing. Turns out that there must have been some “value engineering”. The crank has a spot machined for a woodruff key. The rotor simply has a built in tab to engage slot instead of a key and slot. Or in my case... had. Not wanting to spend more money and with leaves piling up, I put the rotor in its proper location, blue locktited the crank taper and reinstalled the rotor. “Fixed” for now.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

BMW 520 turned up with lots of water in the rear passenger footwell. Owner was seriously considering swimming lessons for the child.
      Looks like the RHD versions have history with a bizarre water management system in front of the blank plug for the steering column hole on the passenger side.
      Followed the footsteps of others who posted their experience. We'll see.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I didn't wrench on the bikes, but I did install a heater in my garage. It's a necessity in MI! Now that my garage is heated, I'll have more motivation to work on the bikes throughout the winter. I never have time when the weather's nice so it'll be great taking advantage of my spare time during the colder months.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Fitted a new plastic thermostat housing with thermostat and temperature sender to the car, a Renault Grand Scenic.
          The temperature gauge displays bars. Five bars is normal. Recently in had started dropping to four.
          Scanner showed it running at 77C/170F. One bar on the display is a big chunk of temperature.
          An analogue temperature gauge would have showed this up earlier I imagine.
          Who knows how long it had been running cool.
          Cycling away now in the low to mid 90s C.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Spiffing up a bicycle I got for the wife for Xmas.
            It's suffering from a bit of neglect, as the previous owner had a year plus battle with cancer.

It's hard to find bikes with really large frames. The prior owner is 6'6", so the frame should keep her from being hunched over.

A bit of polish and lube, and it will be ready.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I spent some time today working on a used kids' mountain bike for my nephew. Trued wheels, adjusted shifting, lubed chain, adjusted brakes, installed new tires and new grips.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Found that my battery runs dead in 3 days on my GS1000E so without a multi meter i checked wiring around reg/rec and found dry solder joint in reg/rec earth , as well as a stator lead not connected properly
                With those rectified and temporarily insulated i will test charge rate at work in a 4hrs
                1978GS1000E
                GSX600R K1

Comment

Wolf. Buy a voltmeter. They’re cheap. Gotta Harbor Freight nearby? As Ed Ness always says “to measure is to know.”

edit: sorry, don’t know what stores you may have in SA.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Have one but its at work thing can even read rpm if the pulse clamp is connected
                    1978GS1000E
                    GSX600R K1

Comment

I had to put new front wheel bearing hubs and rotors on my 2015 Altima, which my son drives. Not too bad of a job really.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Unexpected item in the battery area.
                        To wit, one flat battery.
                        I discovered that I'd left the ignition switch on when I parked it up.
                        Luckily, the XJ battery is the same type and fit, so today was the perfect chance to give it a workout.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yesterday Hew tires today sync Carbs. With my new Morgan Carbtune pro . So much easier to sync carbs with it than my old gauges and more accurate
                          IMG_3935 by Gerald Kaiser, on Flickr
                          Jerry
                          1981 GS650E
                          1982 GS1100E
                          2018 Can AM Spyder
                          1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Changed the oil and filter on the Soul yesterday. The best laid out car I've ever seen for that. Would have been a 15 minute job if the gorilla who tightened the drain plug last oil change (before I bought it) hadn't treated it like it was a crank pulley bolt.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Finally getting started on my 750. Carbs removed and disassembled. Plan to begin cleaning tomorrow
                              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Got the GSX rider peg plates fitted to my Gs1000 20211219_223002.jpg
                                1978GS1000E
                                GSX600R K1

Comment

Working...
                                X