No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my new stator from RMStator. Going to swap that, and hopefully go for a ride today.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
      Not Wrenching but a good day so far... got my endorsement. Well passed the skills test and got my waiver this morning.
      I know, I know... about time. I rode back in the '80s when you didn't need one then took a couple decade hiatus. Most lately been riding for two years without anything, then got my Permit this spring, today was the last step to finally being LEGAL! Other than go visit the... *LADIES*... at the DMV.
      Next spring I am signing up for the ABATE safety course right away as they have been booked for the rest of this Summer / Fall since MAY!
      Congrats!

There's a bad habit over here for the DOT to miss adding your motorcycle category on your license when renewing it, so I've religiously checked when I get it renewed to make sure it's still there... even though it's nearly a 10 year hiatus for me I wanna be able to jump straight back on...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

In the process of changing out my wiring harness today, got the bits around the headlight done. Tomorrow the under tank stuff and on from there.

1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM. Reason: Include Bike Model

Comment

Found and fixed a loose wire. It was a bad home made splice covered in miles of electrical tape. Once I took off all the tape (on a best guess kind of hunch), there it was. So I replaced it with another questionable home made splice, covered it all back up with miles of electrical tape, and now it will work for years.
          I usually do electrical stuff *right*, but I didn't have time nor tools, plus I'm thinking of replacing the harness (or at least going over every inch of it) this winter, so I don't feel too bad bodging it for now...
          At least I don't have to worry about my headlight suddenly cutting out tomorrow.

Comment

Changed wheels/tires for a trailer for a small sailboat. Old tire were probably original equipment, 1965. (Trailer hasn't been on the road since 1995.)

Trailer Parts Superstore of Newark, DE, sold me the tires. Buying them already mounted on new wheels only added about $10 each to the price. $72 total for the pair of 4.80 x 8.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

What did you work on today

Spend some frustrating hours putting LED turn signals on my 1984 GS550ES.
              ^$(*&()*(&&^&%^&^$%^%$^$W)+{{)(U)(*IOI^I&U%U,
              Had a beer and quit, NO, I quit and had a beer.

Comment

Put in a set of new OEM clutch plates this afternoon. Many thanks to member Sedelen for scoring the plates on ebay for a great price & then reselling them to me for the same amount. One difference I noticed between the new OEMs and the original factory plates, is that the old plates feature patches of friction material about 50% wider than the new style ones, which have thinner pieces of material (cork?) but many more of them. Old plates were still well within spec for thickness, but were slightly glazed & hard....downshifting coupled with WOT would be met with occasional slippage. None of that, with the new ones installed.
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

This is what the Barnett "extra" plate clutch kit will do to your clutch hub!!! Ray.

Comment

Another view. Ray.

Comment

These are the offending plates! Ray.

Comment

Here is another shot from this motor of all the silicone that was INSIDE the oil pick up strainer!!! Ray.

Comment

I hear ya.....after asking, and a lot of reading here, I went with '82 OEM (no extra plate). At 50,000 (km) the basket has no damage/wear to speak of. I was referring to the width of the pieces of cork......the factory installed plates had fewer of them and they are around 1/2" wide, while on the new Suzuki ones they are around 1/4 to 3/8" wide, allowing more patches & gaps. Probably updated/improved the design, I'm thinking.
                          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Putting the finishing touches on my new (old) wiring harness install. I closed my eyes and turned the key.....no sparks, fire, or red glowing fuses. Starts up and all auxiliary systems functional. 12 volts at the coils and 14.5 at the battery. I had 7 volts at the coils with the old harness. Now to tidy things up.

Comment

I came to the realization trying to install these air box's BLOWS!
                              I honestly thought my boots were in good shape and not too hard... untill I tried to install it tonight.
                              Wound up pulling the carb rack BACK off, and refittng the air box to them on the bench. The more I played with them the easier it got. Helped to warm the boots under a 100w lightbulb for a few minutes. So lets see what happens tomorrow after I leave them assembled on the bech overnight to regain their correct shape.

Comment

Put together a sexy new chrome headlight. Will mount with some chrome ears in a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X