X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100g

Striping down a gs1100g.

Comment

Replaced the humidity sensor in the wife's dryer...

Now the day is mine....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

It was actually last night.
        I finally got the head and cylinders back from the machine shop. It took an excruciating long time, about 4 weeks.
        After getting my son's car back on the road yesterday, I was able to devote some time to my bike. I cleaned the pistons, installed the new rings, gaskets & o-rings and installed the cylinders.
        It was my first time doing that. I tried using the hose clamp method with no success. I ended up compressing the rings with my fingers and wiggling the cylinders down.
        One step closer to being a bike again.

Comment

Cleaning out a Keihin FCR37 carburetor from a Honda CRF250X. Been sitting for a year with no stabil in the gas tank...LOTS of growth, main jet was completely clogged. Taking a break before re-assembly. This was my first carb cleaning, a precursor to tearing into my own GS450's carbs

Comment

Decided to go ahead and get the valve adjustment over with. Gotta order a couple shims. 4 places where too tight. Was able to move shims around to cover two of them. Glad I did this. I decided to go ahead and get it done because I had been waiting on airbox boots to come in, and it's been two weeks. So, I called and found out they had somehow messed up and never got them ordered...even though they charged me. So, now I gotta wait even longer. Oh well, gave me an excuse to get on the valve adjustment.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I replaced the oil seal on the gear shaft. I don't believe anyone who says they just pulled it off shaft installed and replaced it. When you pick it away with some scribes, you end up with a metal ring which is fabricated inside the seal. I don't see how anyone can pull that out. I did a clutch hub removal, pulle the shaft, and replaced the seal, clean and free. No more leaks. Clutch plates are in good shape too and now I have a fresh gasket on the cover. Found a hairline fracture on the cover though, along the clutch shaft housing. Hope it holds!

Comment

Used my 4" cut off grinder to machine up a 14mm diameter 3mm thick aluminum spacer for my front master cylinder to eliminate current 33% waste of lever travel. This spacer is to replace the previously fitted plastic one which has dissolved.

I also made a base plate and tapped a thread into it then double stick taped it to my radar detector so I can attach it to my previously made up camera mount and I hard wired a telephone cable (which happened to have the right connection for the radar detector) for the power supply.

Comment

Put in new fork seals and flushed brake system on my 81 1100E. Going over everything before the weather warms up. Next, build a 12X16 shed out back so I can buy more GS's.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2010, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Today I managed to get a few hours in the refuge and installed the spacer in the master cylinder tested it and was very pleased. Reduced dead lever travel from 35-40% down to about 10%. In the photo you can see the join between the spacer and the end of the piston (through the left hole in the bottom of the reservoir). The seal is sitting between the two holes. I had to sand the spacer down .3mm so that fluid could cycle through ok.

Then I carried on stripping the front end of Baz, safe in the knowledge that when I'm riding Gad and the radar detector goes off, I'll have brakes that can slow me down fast enough to maybe save my ass
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2010, 03:32 AM.

Comment

I have been working on a friends 1997 GSXR 750 SRAD for what seems like ever . got most of it straightened out just waiting for the head gasket to arrive so I can reassemble it and hope it runs the way its supposed to

Comment

today ill be indtalling two new power outlets on my ZZR 1200 in the fairing. too many farkles now and the wiring needs to be neatened up

Comment

Not sure this counts but........

I went over to Wazz's yesterday and helped out his on his brother in laws (DH Joes ) Seca 750. He found a donor bike last fall and Wazz replaced the old leaking fuel tank & fusebox while I helped out with some wiring clean up and also cleaned out one of the worst clutch cables I have ever seen. Joe offered moral support and his usual "off color" commentary. Gregs theory is we can fix Joes bike in his garage or on the side of the road, our choice. Hopefully the leftover carcass will be leaving Wazz's garage soon and he will have more space for "real" GS work. We then helped out on Tonys GL500 V twin Honda, also with cable issues and a loose radio cluster in the Goldwing type fairing that was rubbing the top of the guages when he turned the wheel. It seemed like we had to dis-assemble half the fairing to finally get to the mounting bolts but were able to get it tightened back up and off of the guages when turning the bars. We then synced my 850 and rode out for some dinner in the 40 degree weather. We got back to Gregs and I did the remaining 26 mile ride home from there and was VERY glad I brought my fleece for under my jacket and liner for my riding pants. It would have been a long, giblet freezing ride home without them.
                          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I upgraded the slider clutch of the small tire race bike from 6mm studs to 8mm studs a couple of days ago. Put fresh soaked clutch plates in last night and this morning I measured and assembled the clutch. Then I pulled the valve cover and loosened the cam chain tentioner on the car tire bike to get ready to start changing cams this afternoon. Changing from G7/9 to G 18/19 Cam Motions. If I get that done, I'll start putting a mechanical tach on as I'm not real trusting of the shift light. Had some issues last year and changed the Dyna shift minder. Not sure if that was the problem so the tach is a backup. T&T next Saturday, season starts Sunday WOO-WHO!

Comment

Yesterday I replaced my block off plates with actual anti-dive units...

Course I didn't hook them up....

Thread here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=157756
                              Last edited by Baatfam; 04-18-2010, 12:41 PM.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Nothing today, but, I por-15ed the GK tank yesterday, it came out nicely. I have to let it dry for 3 days. After that, I'm riding it for the first time. I actually test rode it when I bought it, but, it was running so poorly, it doesn't count.
                                Larry D
                                1980 GS450S
                                1981 GS450S
                                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                                X