No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on the motorhome must do list today. Plumbing, sew a tear in the big awning, re-tension the awning spring and anything else I can get done before next Friday.

Comment

remeasured for the 99th and final time... (yeah right) where the island and fireplace are going to be - huge kitchen / dining room renovation... 3 months to go!

Comment

Front tire is off, hoping the store will call today and tell me my new one is in. Its a shame the sidewall had to develop dry rot cracks, the tread is at least 75% if not more

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          I actually test rode it when I bought it
          How long ago was that?
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            How long ago was that?

Uhmmmm......good question.....around October, I think......Shame, I can't really remember exactly.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The replacement exhaust was waiting at my door when I got home. Now I need the dang gaskets. Still "in progress" with Bikebandit. And my O-ring kit arrived last Saturday.

Brad bk

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                The replacement exhaust was waiting at my door when I got home. Now I need the dang gaskets. Still "in progress" with Bikebandit. And my O-ring kit arrived last Saturday.

Brad bk
                PM your address...I've got a set I can get in the mail tomorrow...
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Uh, I tightened a mirror before I went for a ride...sorry, that's all I have...

Comment

did the 87 venture's wheel bearings today.. steering head bearings if i can get enough ambition to go out and work on it some more.

Comment

Sent and sent.

Brad bk

Comment

Installed the GPz engine in the frame today. As soon as I verify the gearbox (the reason for the last removal) I'll be installing the head and degreeing the cams. That's going to be a booger b/c of the way they are designed. I'm very glad for the "degreeing the cams" thread in the tech section, since this is my first time to ever do it.

Comment

I'm about to go stick the cylinder down on my GS1000 engine, but first wanted to post a photo of my latest purchase: some JIS screwdrivers. These seem to be very nice quality. Not cheap but no more than Craftsman Professional series screwdrivers (about $10 each).

EDIT: Just wanted to say that these JIS screwdrivers ROCK!!! They fit much tighter into the cross tip screws than a standard #2 bit. Scratching my head wondering what too me so long to get these things.
                          Last edited by Nessism; 04-20-2010, 01:05 AM.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just took my triple tree off, removed fork springs (17mm over service limit) and oil. The forks have a 25mm spacer but are too soft even on full preload so I will put 50mm spacers in and see how that goes. I measured and calculated how much the springs will compress and after deducting extra spacers and cap depth the springs will still be able to compress another 200mm. The forks look like they max out at 135mm so should be ok.

Comment

Two weeks ago Sunday, I pulled the ratty '78 motor off of my GS1000E and replaced it with my '79 parts motor. Last weekend I painted my nasty looking Vance and Hines 4 into one, flat black. Out of desperation I got some VHT header paint (silica ceramic coating) rattle can paint at Advanced Auto $8.95 a can. I figured it would last about a week or less. It turns out this stuff is really nice It paints over rust and chrome equally well, and if you cure it per directions on the bike (I don't have an oven big enough), it works beautifully.
                              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

it may peel a bit where the chrome is..mine did. so to cure that problem get some 80 grit sand paper and scrub the hell out of the chrome to gouge the surface and make it porous enought to make a good bonding surface. No need to strip what is on there good...just a good scrubbing with the sandpaper and repaint.. let it set a few days then install. to bake it on, start the bike and hold the RPMs around 2000 for a good 4 or 5 minutes. It will smoke like crazy so do it outside. Let it set for about 1/2 HR and repeat this process 3 or 4 times. dont put a fan on the engine while doing this..,the key is to get the pipe good and hot to bake it well. Cycling the process lets it expand and contract a few times and sets it on real well .
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X