No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled the bags and mounts off my GK in anticipation of the great shock/tire replacement scheduled for this week(end?)...it was really pretty easy!

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
      That didn't come from Wisconsin, or did it? Gary from Baraboo.
      nope, coloumbiaville, mi

Comment

Pulled off both wheels and I'm off for new tires to be mounted...rear drive splines are good! What grease should I use for re-assembly? I have some Silkolene RG2...? Should have Shinko Tourmasters mounted by this afternoon...wish my Progressive shocks would show up so I can get this baby put back together!

Comment

Originally posted by COGS View Post
          Pulled off both wheels and I'm off for new tires to be mounted...rear drive splines are good! What grease should I use for re-assembly? I have some Silkolene RG2...? Should have Shinko Tourmasters mounted by this afternoon...wish my Progressive shocks would show up so I can get this baby put back together!
          moly 60% grease is the highest recommended lube for the rear splines i have seen. honda has a moly 60 paste, or if you are lucky, a local auto shop will have some. I got some 60% paste from a local shop for about 10 dollars for a tube a little shorter than a tube of caulk.

Comment

Thanks! I'm glad a Honda shop isn't far out of my way!

Comment

Newbie wrenching on my 82 850L

Just got notified that my shipment from BikeBandit was delivered. I'm ready to tackle the carbs. I have to say, this site has really inspired me. I have had the bike for a while, but it sat unused most of the past 2 years. It is a really nice bike and I want to do it right by getting it running as good as it looks.

Comment

It wasn't today, but last night. New exhaust is mounted with new gaskets (thanks again batfaam kic) and changed the oil and filter. Next is the carbs. Waiting on new pads from bikebandit for the front brakes.

Brad bk

Comment

Brakes

Started tearing apart my brake system today. Got the left caliper nice and stripped, as you can see. Still a few tiny spots of paint left, but they should be easy to get out with a touch of sandpaper, or maybe a 3M pad. Ordered an o-ring kit for the carbs today as well. Going to finish stripping the front calipers and brackets tonight, and probably do the rear as well.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Good work. that caliper looks great, are you putting it back to black or something different?
                    After stripping down a parts XS750 yesterday I looked a round the shed and said OMG I am drowning in scrap iron. I hauled well over a ton of iron to the local iron dumpster today about 1/3 of it was bike parts !!! and I still have too many. The 11E is a still way back in the garage. I still think it will be on the road this year but hard to tell for sure.

Comment

I've got some VHT Satin Black Caliper Paint I've going to give a whirl. Old stuff had been attacked by brake fluid, and who knows what else. Just a general mess.

Comment

I was at school replacing a bearing (not on the bike) and decided to open up my carbs to take a look at them. Aside from some minor blockage on the main jet (which is why it is out in the pictures) on the #1 carb, I found this rubber plug. Granted, this is only my second set of carbs that I've opened up, but I remember on the Keihin FCR37 that I dissected last week, the idle and starter jets were clearly accessible and open to the float bowl. I only see the main jet, where are the others? What is behind the plug in pic #1? It looks like a jet of some sort...is that plug supposed to be there?? (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)

Thanks

The problem?

Behind door #1...

Comment

But in other noos, I got my valve shim tool in today (just in time for the local shop where I can get shims to be closed for the weekend! ) along w/ my new intake boots and stainless boot fasteners (ordered a pack of 25, so if anyone wants to buy some, let me know). Still waiting on the clamps, o-rings, and a couple other odds n' ends. And of course...shims...Tomorrow's project will be cleaning the carbs (which aren't that dirty, but I wanna take care of them once and for all) and maybe taking a second crack at removing the old intake boots.

Comment

Grease for splines

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                            moly 60% grease is the highest recommended lube for the rear splines i have seen. honda has a moly 60 paste, or if you are lucky, a local auto shop will have some. I got some 60% paste from a local shop for about 10 dollars for a tube a little shorter than a tube of caulk.
                            BMW shops also often have spline grease as greasing the transmission input splines is a common maintenance task on Beemers.

If none of the bike shops have moly grease on hand most auto parts shops should carry moly grease for packing CV joints. That works too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              BMW shops also often have spline grease as greasing the transmission input splines is a common maintenance task on Beemers.

If none of the bike shops have moly grease on hand most auto parts shops should carry moly grease for packing CV joints. That works too.
                              Thanks...in spite of a foot of snow at my house today, I did make it to the Honda dealership for their Moly 60 Paste...now if the snow would melt so I could get my tires mounted...Well, then I guess I'd still be waiting for my shocks! Oh well, maybe I can find another part to clean...

Comment

Finished up the valve adjustment today and got it buttoned back up. All spacings are either .002 in. or .0025 in. Now, if my dad-burned airbox boots would just get here!! grrrrrrr
                                Current Bikes:
                                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                                X