what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar....

The head's all unbolted but I need someone to help me lower the exhaust as I can't do it one handed. Thirty minutes tops and the cylinders will be sitting on the bench.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
      Looks like a departure from those 'interesting' original bars ... what's going on there?
      Drag bike..not sure where the risers came fron but they are kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by erljhnsn2003 View Post
        Started my 530 chain/sprocket conversion on my '77 GS750. Appears to be all original parts. Yeah, I think it's due. All bearings are good so I'll order parts thru Z1 tomorrow.
        Got the parts in from Z1 yesterday and was just to tired to work on the bike last night. Long week last week. Anyway, rounded up the assorted parts cleaner, brake clean and "stuff" this morning. I had to order a new impact driver to remove the front sprocket cover since mine turned up "missing". Thank goodness for lock washers since my front sprocket was only hand tight. OK, back to work.

Comment

It took eight hours to clean off the old gasket.
          Is there no other way than scraping with a blade?
          Today ultrasonic carb rinse, and then prepare everything for assembly tomorrow.

Comment

I finally got to do something today...

Gave the 450 a much needed spit and polish while I soaked the Cucciolo bits in my Marine Clean bath.

Gave it a good scrub and it's almost clean enough not to need any blasting, but I still think I'll do that... good to get back into it again even if it's not a lot of progress
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hunting the electric gremlin

Spent part of the afternoon hunting down an electric gremlin. One fine riding day two weeks ago while on a right turn, the turn signal on the GS450GA died. A little gremlin seem to have hitched a ride.

A little detective work narrowed the hunt. Left turn signal operated fine, so the relay was no long a suspect. Time to bring out the VOM. Off with the lens cap and bulb. Ground grounded, eliminating that possibility. My dear Dr. Watson, deductive logic said a break in the positive wiring, a discontinuity opened up by the uninvited hitch hiker. Onward with the legwork. Disassembled the headlight to inspect the harness -- always the easiest first. No continuity from the juncture to the bulb holder, closing in on the little critter. Wire from the juncture to the base of the turn signal ok, so he was lurking inside the turn signal assembly.

On an investigation, one encounters intriquing side ventures. Hummm, Suzuki inverted the normal circuitry, allowing the metal signal housing to serve as the positive, while running a ground wire all the way to the bulb holder. Curious, why not the other way around? Body metal should be ground, but things are not always as expected. Insightful but inexplicable discovery filed away for the future. Perhaps some colleague knows the secret to this phenomenon, but must not be misdirected by a red herring.

Zeroed in on the gremlin with a little more nosing around. The bulb holder was failing to make sufficient contact with the metal housing. Go away, run away little guy! Forced out by closing the gap. With him safely gone (no harm ever done to any little creature, just returned to the wilds), all back to normal.

Motorcyclists have some many identities!

Comment

Another day in the workshop.
                Carbs today.
                Final assembly of everything tomorrow.

Comment

Finished up the 530 x-ring chain conversion last night. Changed the 15t/41t sprockets with 18t/45t as per Z1 recommendation. Much smoother running thru the gears and dropped the rpms by 300 to 400 rpms at 70 mph. Silky smooth at highway speeds and lost alot of vibration. Cool!!!

Comment

Putting around doing some odds and ends on the Z1. The bracket on the can of the 4 to 1 Kerker header cracked. Rigged a bracket out of a piece of aluminum. Also figured out why the high beam won't work. Loose wire. Easy fix, but I have to get the connector that the light plugs into. Could rig it differently but prefer to make a neater job of it.

Comment

Put a sway bar on the back of my truck.

Comment

Did the "highest rpm" tuning method on my 550l, trying to figure out its inconsistency. New intake o rings and carb o rings on the way.
                        Also , de carbonized the 1100e valves, ready to reassemble the head with new valve seals and clean valves into a freshly painted head.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                          Put a sway bar on the back of my truck.
                          And???

Eric

Comment

Spent all day THINKING about working on the 550, and never really did much

I finished welding though, painted the rear of the frame, mounted the rear fender, started to put the rack on and broke a bolt. Smashed my hand when that happened and went inside rather than yell at the motorcycle. It's obviously not my fault...

Comment

I just removed the dash from my Vanagon and puled out the heater box. Had to fix the fan motor. Bitch job that took three days. Then I put new calipers on it.

Camper II is now fully functional!
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Parts guy didn't have the gaskets.
                                Assembly postponed two weeks, now holiday with the family, and I promised not to talk about motorcycles.

Disappointed, but it gives me a little more time, so maybe I should take the opportunity and de-black the engine before re-assembling it all..? The black has to be either removed or re-done, and I like the look of a clean and near-shiny liter. Of course then I need a shiny exhaust, and here goes the budget. Gaah.

Comment

Working...
                                X