Page 2 of 774 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you wrench on today??

DanTheMan Guest

Cool

I've had wrenching plans for my bike for the last week and a half, however, I have my son's mother-in-law's '97 Chrysler Sebring(don't ever buy one of these, you'll rue the day) in my garage that I've been wrenching on. I hauled it home on the car dolly when it quit, I'm trading my wrenching for plumbing work, and the bill is adding up fast. Here's the list so far, in parts. New timing belt (24 hr job in the flat rate manual), new serpentine belt, removed upper and lower intake manifolds to chase vacuum leaks (upper has to be removed anyway to do anything on this engine), oil and filter (minor), got it all back together Wed., tried to start it. It attempted to fire but couldn't get there. Re-read the book, it pointed me to the distributor (yeah, this 2.5L Mitsubishi V6 has one of those), had to pull the upper intake off again to access that, pulled it, just ordered a new one yesterday, the old one's toast, and found a coolant leak to fix also. Maybe I'll be done with it by next Wed., the distributor comes in on Tuesday.

Now, bike related (sorry for the non-bike related wrenching, had to vent), this weekend while I can't do anything on the car, I'm replacing my fork seals and chasing down an errant electrical problem. I might even do the carbs this weekend, not sure about that one though. I will change the oil and filter though, I've got 1500 miles on what's in it now, I put on 500 miles since I started riding again this year, I just used the oil from last year to start out this year with.

went and got new petcock seal..put it in and put some gas in and let it set on the bench for a few while i did a chain adjustment. Not one spot under the tank so i mounted it and took it for a spin. ran great and was good to get on her. Gonna hook up with two guys tomorrow and do the shack down cruise on my buddies 78 750 we built this winter.. hope all will be well with it. It should be because it has had my magical expert mechanical skills on every inch of it!!! LMAO. We will see about noonish tomorrow for sure. Oh and a professional photographer i know is gonna be doing a photo spread of my 77 and 78 next thursday..cant wait tom see those pics. He says he knows some models so we will see where that heads to....70s and some bikinis all over my bikes..i like that idea!!!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

vista461 Guest

Took apart the carbs to see how clean they were since I was waiting on parts. Looked really good and clean and all the passages were clear.
    Just got my boot orings in the mail today but still have a few days to wait for the clamps.
    Then I can get it back together and get it running, hopefully bikebandit will get my clutch cable here soon too.
    Hmm just checked, says they haven't charged me yet. So I guess its not shipped yet
    Last edited by vista461; 03-26-2010 at 05:47 PM.

SqDancerLynn1 Guest

I had to fix the car today, 88 Calais quad 4. Turned out to be bad ign housing. I found out It has a wasted spark system like our bikes

Default $200. gs850

Yesterday I took the tank off and empty the stale gas, and removed the carbs and disassemble and started cleaning them, Ive seen worse.
    Today I went to adjust the valves and they were all good, to my surprise.
    Started looking at the wiring harness there are problems there, fried wires.
    1982 gk1100
    1990 katana 1100
    Puyallup Washington
    Hbr 8:12 "And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins."

I got bolts removed from exhaust manifold off the 79E, been spraying PB Blaster on the since X-mas. No snaped off bolts should get header on this weekend.
    I going to help a friend get new tires mounted on his Nighthawk should be a good weekend.

1979 GS1000E
    1982 GS1100GL
    2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

just a would it hurt question i think goes along with wrenching?? I was wondering if every spring it would hurt to put some seafoam or something in the gas tank to kinda scrub them out a bit after setting all winter.. I do add a good shot of stabil every fall.. dont think it would hurt anything
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

kerrfunk is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I finished painting my daughter's room today

I had the 1100 inspected yesterday and it needs a new fork seal.
    I have literally no idea what that means or how to go about dealing with it, but I'm willing to learn...
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1983 GS 650GL (my fourth GS) -- 23,500 miles.

the fork seal is a rubber seal that sits in the top of the lower fork tube..It seals the lower fork tube to the upper tube and stops the forkoil from squirting out from between them see any parts fiche and youll see how it works.

koolaid_kid Guest

I'm waiting on 2 parts, one will come in Monday, the other whenever USPS decides they are tired of carrying it around. So I mapped out a timeline for the GS and went back to the GPz. Wasted a ton of time trying to figure out how to degree the cams. Gave up, started to verify the valve adjustment. They were way off, so I started fitting the cylinder block onto the cases. Not going all that well either, but my goal is to complete that by EOD, so the day won't be a total loss. I think today I was the bug, vs. being the windshield.