Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post

Trust me... you want want a lift table.
    I know. I can only build one thing at a time.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

After the Blessing of the Bikes today I made my attempt at lining the tank with Por-15. I'm not confident that it applied properly despite following the directions but I'm hoping it did. So it's looking like this and will be sitting in the garage for the next week.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wow Doc, I can't remember when last I worked on a side valve engine, do they still make gas for that thing. ;-)

Now there is a trip down memory lane.

Comment

Took Suzie Q out for it's first spin, first time that I have known how fast I was going past 85.....somewhere in the triple digits. She has a low rpm miss when going slow, past 3500 or so woooohooo. Now back to work.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Made a bracket for the reg-rec, using the space released by the paucity of carburettors.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

[QUOTE=rustybronco;2054310]Pulled the head for the second time on Flyboy's GK to fix a previous 'hack job who over torqued two of the cam cover bolts. I found them when I tried tightening the cam cover after replacing a leaky base gasket and valve stem seals.

I'll probably see if I can find a drill press to use, if not, then I'll drill them out by eye like I did on the lawn mower.

Ness, you've really got to get yourself a table if you plan on working a lot on these things. Real easy to get a bike into the air and stable as

If the ends of the broken bolts are visible, just MIG or TIG another small bolt onto the end and wind it out...easy as...

Had to do just that Yesterday. Building a Honda CB1100R motor which has been in boxes for some years...there was one missing cam cap bolt - the end of which i eventually found in the head. Friendly TIG welder took about 5 minutes to pull it out. The owner had paintstripped the head and had it professionally repainted - along with the rest of the motor - without noticing the bolt in there.

What is p...... me off about this build is finding all the bits - and so far it's taken just over a day to reshim the head from scratch. And that's just the exhaust cam so far. Nothing was marked where it had come from and the valves had all been refaced....oh joy. try, try and try again - writing everything down as i go. Aftermarket cam chain tensioner which came with no instructions - but requires the two bosses on the back of the block to be tapped 8mm - one of them right through - about 50mm....that took some modification of a standard tap to get it through that far... Wish I'd known about that before i put the block on the pistons....Rag, lots of rag - followed by a small vacuum cleaner....
              I might get the head on tomorrow.....or walk away for a couple of days...

Comment

Finally at long last replaced my battery last night. Cleaned, checked the cables etc. I havent ridden since Super Bowl Sunday. Hoping to get out this weekend. Maybe ill even wash it....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                  Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Pulled the head for the second time on Flyboy's GK to fix a previous 'hack job who over torqued two of the cam cover bolts. I found them when I tried tightening the cam cover after replacing a leaky base gasket and valve stem seals.

I'll probably see if I can find a drill press to use, if not, then I'll drill them out by eye like I did on the lawn mower.
                  If the ends of the broken bolts are visible, just MIG or TIG another small bolt onto the end and wind it out...easy as...
                  I should have made myself a bit clearer. All they did was strip out the bolt holes in the head. If they had snapped those two off in the head I would have caught it the first time it was off.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Look no hands or straps...Got some new tires from Dennis Kirk. Seemed to have the best deal and showed up exactly when they said it would. Ronin, put the tires on the rims for me.
                    I helped a little, but not much. Doing another track day at the Ridge in June, maybe 2 if I can pull it off. Chain and sprockets have expired, got those on the way, but forgot to loosen the countershaft sprocket nut, because I didn't think I was replacing the chain at the same time as the tires. Also getting a used Super Hub from Rapid Ray tomorrow, hopefully. Guess I'm getting a little more patient with age.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                      Look no hands or straps...Got some new tires from Dennis Kirk. Seemed to have the best deal and showed up exactly when they said it would. Ronin, put the tires on the rims for me.
                      I helped a little, but not much. Doing another track day at the Ridge in June, maybe 2 if I can pull it off. Chain and sprockets have expired, got those on the way, but forgot to loosen the countershaft sprocket nut, because I didn't think I was replacing the chain at the same time as the tires. Also getting a used Super Hub from Rapid Ray tomorrow, hopefully. Guess I'm getting a little more patient with age.

Ummm, I hope those brake pots aren't just hanging by the brake hose...cuz that's a no no. Didn't know the Katanas had leading axle frorks?
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I finished this.
                        V

Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Nice work on the breastplate, I'll bet you could shape a really nice set of sheet metal fairings.

Today on the bike I installed a horn louder than the engine at idle, adjusted the valves, adjusted the idle to work with the valve settings, adjusted the choke cable to fully close the choke circuit, broke the choke cable and then took it out for a nice high-RPM test ride to check for oil leaks.

I also disassembled the front suspension of a Tiburon in the process of changing out the axles. Not nearly as much fun as tinkering on an old GS, but it needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
                            adjusted the valves, adjusted the idle to work with the valve settings,
                            No synch?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Havn't built my synch tool yet, that comes after I get the Hyundai out of my garage. Customer cars come first, then I get to work on my own stuff.

Comment

Drained, cleaned the 650 forks and did new fork seals and oil.
                                Decent improvement.
                                Also ordered some Grab On foam grips and a cruise control device for the ride down to Brown County next month. oh yeah.
                                Tired of a painfully numb index finger and thumb

Comment

Working...
                                X