what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

today's build

Not a GS but had fun putting this together for my grand daughter.
    sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
    1994 gsxr1100w
    1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

20 years from now when she is on a motorcycle it will be great to show her that photo of how proud she is of her ride..
      Excellent pic.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

And she helped put the front wheel in and tightened some nuts. Ratchet wrenches are a great thing.
        sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
        1994 gsxr1100w
        1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
          And she helped put the front wheel in and tightened some nuts. Ratchet wrenches are a great thing.

Before you know it, you'll be helping her change her racing slick and tuning the motor for her in the NHRA pro stock bikes lol.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Nearing 400 pages..who would have thought this thread would have lasted this long!! Nice to see what everyone has been doing lately..thats one proud bike owner there!!
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sure can't top the smile on the little one! Spend time with them, they don't stay young long enough...

Started putting together Flyboy's GK. Should have a good dent in all that's left to finish tomorrow.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

New Progressive Suspension rear shocks on the 83 GS450GA. Was not expecting it, but lowered by an inch!

Comment

As I did not have to go into work today, I did a little work on the '80 1100E that has been collecting dust for these past 17 years. I got the carbs back together and jetted for the new exhaust.
                  I also got the valves adjusted, the cam cover painted and installed. Tomorrow, I hope to install the carbs and intakes as well as finish up the modifications to the intake system.
                  I'll grab the camera for the completion of that phase.

Comment

Just needs a bolt!

Borrowed a rototiller from a friend. Ran, just needs a bolt he said.

Had to free up the rusted throttle cable. Cleaned the carb. Fuel tank was full of water and old fuel. No spark, had to file and set the points. Idler spring was rusted away, replaced it. Idler pulley was seized, freed that up. Drive wouldn't disengage, threw the drive belt. Dragged it back up to the house and left it open to the elements just as I received it.

Five hours wasted... and the guy at one time taught auto mechanics!

Had to add oil also.

Last edited by rustybronco; 06-01-2014, 02:49 PM.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Removed the sprocket cover and although there was some oil from a leaking pan gasket (thinking it tore when I installed it last year; already ordered a new one) and dirt on the pushrod, I couldn't see any reason why the bike wouldn't shift into gear. I then started it up and sure enough everything shifted and ran fine.

Despite checking it at work three days ago and seeing the oil level was fine, I also noticed today it was a half-quart low so I added that much back in. I'm going to drive it this week to see if I can get it to repeat itself but I just don't have any idea as to why it wouldn't shift yesterday.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Try as I might, I just couldn't bring myself to breaking something while busy repairing this old bike that hasn't been registered/ran in 17 years.
                        Anyhow, I somehow managed to install the pre-jetted rebuilt carbs, refreshed intake manifolds, refreshed/painted clamps, new airbox inlet hoses, cam cover end caps, plug wires, crankcase breather, carb vent hoses, etc.
                        (Tank and side cover installed temporarily for picture)
                        Eventually, I will be working my way back to clean/tap/paint bolts, rear engine mounts, foot rests, caliper/rotor, rim, swing-arm, fender/tail piece, etc, etc. (new tires arrived yesterday.)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post

Not a GS but had fun putting this together for my grand daughter.
                          Well, that sure put a smile on my face.

Comment

Installed a 530 chain and sprockets on the 1100E. Gold RK chain looks flash.

Comment

Originally posted by pmong View Post
                              New Progressive Suspension rear shocks on the 83 GS450GA. Was not expecting it, but lowered by an inch!
                              an inch? what happened there? unless you like it thataway of course.

Comment

Pulled the dizzy off my nephews 48 Chrysler and went thru it for him. Kids can't get old stuff to run, yet it's so simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X