No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished her arms today, pauldarons next. Thanks Rob.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

In the middle of major primary surgery. Bearings, seals, o-rings, tensioner & a Barnett clutch.... Oh yeah, and cleaning twenty-two years of road mung from behind it all.

Comment

I decided to take both bikes out for a "spin" since I hadn't ridden them before I went to Colombia over a month ago.
        The front tire pressure was low on my GS1000, so I put air in it. he, he.
        That's about all the wrenching I do anymore.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
          Finished the legs and breast and back for this lady today.

That's some weird-assed riding apparel!
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

What did I "wrench" on today? I did some minor repairs on the CM400 seat. It's a Bic lighter, so duct tape is what it gets. At least I went for the black!

Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Mucked around with the front calipers on the XS650 - totally stock; was pleased to find one had been rebuilt not long ago (in mileage terms) and was fine, but the other one is a seized bear, missing boot, so need a kit for it. Cheap enough.
              There seems to be the same opinion about the OEM brakes on the late early80s XS 650 bikes as I have of the same era GS brakes - they work fine when in good order. Of course, there is the option to fit later Brembos, same as the GS.
              I'll get these ones fettled up and fit the new lines (one SS line came adrift from its termination - lucky that didn't happen on the road, a bad comment on the maker of that) that I bought shortly after buying the bike - heyhey, only 9 years later.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
                What did I "wrench" on today? I did some minor repairs on the CM400 seat. It's a Bic lighter, so duct tape is what it gets. At least I went for the black!

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough of it. Actually, I found a local alternative - big black plastic bags for covering silage bales are sealed with a heavy-duty 4" broad plastic sticky tape, which holds up to seat duty quite well. It's half the price of duct tape, too.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Replaced the stator and R/R today. I had to use a dremel and cut slots into some of the crank case cover screws and then impact drive them out (PITA). Finally got them all off and the new stator in place when I come to realize I ordered the wrong gasket cover (fml). R/R wiring is 95% done; I just need to do some crimping and soldering. I'm thinking of fabricating a slightly bigger panel to hold all the components better.

Comment

Rejetted the midrange on my 850, and without apparently knowing what I was doing, got it spot on!

Comment

I put new tires on the bike a month ago. In the past two weeks, I've found three nails and a screw stuck through the rear tire. The first three were nails, and the tire being almost new, I plugged the small holes. The fourth time was a big ol drywall screw, so I installed a new tire. Really pains me to throw a near new PR2 on the trash pile.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I put new tires on the bike a month ago. In the past two weeks, I've found three nails and a screw stuck through the rear tire. The first three were nails, and the tire being almost new, I plugged the small holes. The fourth time was a big ol drywall screw, so I installed a new tire. Really pains me to throw a near new PR2 on the trash pile.
                        You must be riding in the construction zones. I get that stuff here in Orlando also, but I haven't had to replace anything yet.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          You must be riding in the construction zones. I get that stuff here in Orlando also, but I haven't had to replace anything yet.
                          I really don't have any construction zones near me. The only thing I can think of is I've been remodeling a bathroom this past three weeks and when I needed something small, I took the bike to Lowes. Probably their parking lot is the culprit.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by exc911ence View Post
                            Spark-plug removal (18!) plus oil & filter/strainer change on this:
                            Wait a minute... this is me! I guess I already had a GSR account in the past... old age is not doing me any favours.
                            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                              Wait a minute... this is me! I guess I already had a GSR account in the past... old age is not doing me any favours.
                              Yeah, I guess so!

Wait, is it considered crazy to have a conversation with yourself on the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by exc911ence View Post
                                Yeah, I guess so!

Wait, is it considered crazy to have a conversation with yourself on the internet?
                                Maybe, we'd better stop.
                                2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                                2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X