what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    I really don't have any construction zones near me. The only thing I can think of is I've been remodeling a bathroom this past three weeks and when I needed something small, I took the bike to Lowes. Probably their parking lot is the culprit.
    Reasonable to assume. How's the lake in your yard?
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
      Reasonable to assume. How's the lake in your yard?
      The lake has not gone away in near three years now. It's still 20 feet from my back door. I'm sooo tired of jumping from gator to gator to get across my back yard. LOL
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough of it. Actually, I found a local alternative - big black plastic bags for covering silage bales are sealed with a heavy-duty 4" broad plastic sticky tape, which holds up to seat duty quite well. It's half the price of duct tape, too.
        Well, it held up for two years, when I bought the bike. Bought some duct tape at the time. Luckily it's not where I sit, as I know it just turns into one sticky mess after a while if you're sitting on it. I will keep your trick in mind when the roll of duct tape runs out.
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Sunday 20th. Went through diag tree for charging system which led me to fix wiring from battery to RR. Replaced all wiring, new connectors, cleaned up grounds, made real pretty. 4Retested from battery positive to RR and it is worse. Shopping for RR.

Comment

Oh yeah, was able to fix corroded brake light switch and bought first round of paint.

Comment

Cleaned up my rotors and pads as they had gotten quite oily from a leak where the tach cable screws in which i fixed a few weeks ago. Too raining to take it out and see if it did much good

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
                Well, it held up for two years, when I bought the bike. Bought some duct tape at the time. Luckily it's not where I sit, as I know it just turns into one sticky mess after a while if you're sitting on it. I will keep your trick in mind when the roll of duct tape runs out.
                The thing that surprised me, is the farmer's tape doesnt go into a sticky mess with use. It's also different enough from duct tape in appearance to not scream - duct tape cheapskate repair. It simply shouts cheapskate farmer repair intstead
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Pulled the clutch basket to file down the marks from the drive plates and straighten up the dogs on the drive plates. Also, pulled the slide needles and shimmed them with 2 washers each. Waiting on valve cover gasket to see how it runs... can't the post office be any faster?

Comment

Continued working on the bracket for a backrest on my 550. It will be removable so I only need to put it on when the girls are riding with me.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Powdercoated the bash plate and headlight bracket for the BMW. It came out pretty good, considering the bash plate has already done some serious bashing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Pulled this

Put in that

Ran the **** out of it....

Attached Files
                        Last edited by azr; 07-26-2014, 09:22 PM.
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Started painting but phone allow me to upload pics. This week be new RR from Rick's, taking your advice and rebuilding petcock, installing carb hanger o-rings.

Comment

I replaced all the brake fluid in the bike yesterday evening, while it was relatively un-humid out. Gotta keep on that one!

In other news I did the oil change and put a new UNI filter in (believe the other was OE) a couple weeks ago before I went off house sitting. Still have points and plugs to do, and a new rear tire is imminent.
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Ditched the temporary pancake air filter in favour of a decent K&N element of twice the area and fitted a different needle to the SU - an ADK, to make use of the improved airflow. Will fiddle more with it over the next couple of days, but it's nearly done.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I started a thread a couple of months ago about the '84 GS750EFE that a friend gave me and it seems to have vanished like most of the metal in it's fuel tank. If anybody sees that thread, post something and bring it back to life. So I'll post this here instead.

Well I thought I'd start doing some of the basic stuff that the 750 needs to get it road worthy. One was to tackle the pinhole leaks in the tank. Well, to my disappointment the only thing that seems to be holding fuel in the tank was the paint. The bottom on both sides are totally rusted. After about 5 minutes I decided that the tank was beyond what I am willing to do to it. Painting is NOT my thing. Too bad because the original paint is probably a 9 out of 10 and I want to keep this bike as close to original as I can.

Maybe you've heard the song "Nice legs, shame about her face." Well that certainly came to mind with this tank.
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

All is not lost though. Instead having the tank repaired with brazing or new metal welded in, sealing it and the cost of having it painted to original, for princely sum of $365.00 I found the proper NOS tank. Must be my lucky day, I got to go for a ride instead of dealing with that crappy tank.

Last edited by Sandy; 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM.
                                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X