No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice score Sandy! ya, that's weird that your thread vanished. Guess you can use the old tank as a planter
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

No fancy pics, but I have been working on resurrecting my '82 1100E after it spent 5 years sitting in the garage while life got in the way. Currently have pulled the carbs and gave them a going over, am replacing all the fuel lines, installing salty_monk's twin pot brake upgrade and replacing the long dead battery. Hopefully going for a test ride in the next week or two if parts get here on time and the stars align for a trouble free start up. Once this season is over I will be finishing a repaint to cover the 22 years worth of weathering that occurred before I rescued it and put it into a proper garage.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        I started a thread a couple of months ago about the '84 GS750EFE that a friend give me and it seems to have vanished like most of the metal in it's fuel tank. If anybody sees that thread, post something and bring it back to life. So I'll post this here instead.

Threads in the non-technical forums get deleted after x-days of no activity (varies with forum).

Fwiw, I subscribe to an interesting technical thread or one of my own and keep it in a subscription folder - those also need to be purged regularly, too, but at least that's voluntary.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Spent the day helping a friend with a valve adjustment on a 82 GS1100G he just picked up. The bike shows 12k on the clocks but I don't believe it. The bike is pretty rough looking and when he first picked it up , it looked as though it had spent it's entire life out side under the eave of a shed in someones back yard . So he brought it home and started doing the last 32 years of service that the bike was neglected of, starting with oil change, tires, carbs, r/r replacement , wiring clean up ect. He then took the bike on a short trip and figured out pretty quick that it needed brake work,and clutch springs. So with that out of the way and some spare time, he decides it's time to adjust the valves. He goes to remove the valve cover and *^#* the first valve cover bolt broke but not before breaking a bolt boss right out of the cover. On to the next one "snap" on and on 7 of the bolts broke , we tried heat -cool, we tried PB blaster w/ heat and w/o, nothing worked. Well we got all the [Heads of the bolts removed] . Now to remove the cover tap, tap tap nothing no movement . Long story short the cover was corroded between the bolts and the aluminum and would not come off willingly . We finally got it in multiple pieces. the cover started breaking up around the bolt holes. I have never seen a bike this corroded . Well to put it simple we ended up pulling the engine to have better access to the broken bolts. So once the bolts were removed and 6 Heli Coils were installed [ and luckily I had another valve cover] we got the valves adjusted. All but 1 valve were tight. He then decided since the motor was out he was going to clean it up and paint it. So he started pulling cover for polishing and broke 2 more bolts on the stator cover and 1 on the clutch cover. I have been playing with these GS's for over 30 years and have never seen on this bad. On a side note after the initial start up the bike did run pretty decent , despite the corrosion.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Did a destruct on the carbs on my new to me 1000EN. Dirtiest I've ever seen on a running bike, hands down. PO didn't jet the things even though it was running a 4-into-1. Doing the dip tonight after work. I'm sure the family is thrilled with the Gumout fumes. Oh well...

Comment

As little as possible.

Comment

Put a rebuild on the petcock....... now leaking fuel. theme of the day so it seems

Comment

Had a good couple of nights. Last night I flushed and bled the rear brake on both the 1100E and the GSXR. Tonight I installed a set of 2 line Galfer braided stainless brake lines and fresh Galfer 1375 pads on the GSXR. I am waiting on a set of seals and then the 1100E will get salty_monk's twin piston brake upgrade next. It sure feels good to get some of these things done that have been sitting for a while.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Yesterday, I repaired the sprag bearing in the starter assembly of my Ducati 916.
                    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Replaced 7 out of 8 exhaust bolts with stainless studs - the 8th one, of course, is the most awkward one, right next to the frame tube and can wait until I've got the front end off. In the meantime, the tendency for leaks will be halted until I can do a proper job on it.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sanded and refinished the mounting plate for the R&R and ignition. Will be installing a new battery to engine case ground. I have the new stator mounted to the case side and will finish off the charging system. Then I am going to remove the exhaust and re-painting the headers. While off the engine case is going to get scrubbed. Once that is complete I will rehang the carbs and the exhaust. After that I am just waiting on my new fuel petcock then cosmetics.

Comment

Just stripped the master cylinder on the 850 ready for a OEM rebuild kit, no corrosion in there but amazed how much Krud and cr@p there was.

Comment

Seems like everyday I'm working on one of the bikes for some reason. But this week have been trying to remove por 15 lining from tank that started peeling two days after I installed it. I followed their instructions to the letter but still bad results. So far have used two cans of paint stripper in it and it is slowly working. Been rotating positions a lot trying to get stripper to flow everywhere. Son is waiting for this tank so he can start riding his bike. terrylee

Comment

IT LIVES!!!

After collecting dust in my garage for 6 years the 1100E once again breathed fire this afternoon. I did a light carb clean, drained the old gas (which looked and smelled surprisingly fresh), put a new battery in and she fired right up. Took a minute to warm up and then it was idling very nicely at 1100rpm with no issues. Had to move on to other things, but will be taking it for a spin around the block sometime this weekend to make sure everything is still working as intended. I am very happy that I didn't have to strip and dip the carbs, I figured it was 50/50 if I was going to have to or not and got lucky. The only issue I found was a gunked up starter button that I had to spray down with some cleaner to get it working.

Next up is salty_monk's twin pot brake upgrade and then paint.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Um well removed.rear fender to remove carbs so i would not damage the carb boots. Cleaned the carbs, installed new carb hanger o-rings. Reinstalled carbs and just about sold the bike trying to get the throttle cable back on the cam before i realized i could just use my third hand instead. Unplugged wiring harnesses and checked resistance for kicks then used wires ties and rerouted them where i could to hide them. The mounting plate for the R&R got sanded and resprayed, install new R&R and cleaned grounds and used new fasteners. Painted shifter and foot brakes as well as turn signal pedestals and then realized i might regret that. Then i heard a scream for daddy and ran down the driveway to find my son had crashed skateboarding and darn near broke his arm in half. He is in better shape than the bike though.

Comment

Working...
                                X