No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepped my Ducati tank for removal of the old liner, buffed it with an SOS pad on the outside (it's chrome) and got one of the fuel taps to work and am cleaning the other one with an inproved vat

Started chasing the electrical gremlin on my 79 1000, it keeps running the battery flat
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Polished these guys up. My first time polishing metal - didn't get a mirror finish but I'm not really looking for one.

Comment

they look good to me, I now have 2 out of 4 carbs cleaned and assembled on the new to me, 83 1100G.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

After about 400 miles of riding on the old squared off prior century Dunlop rear tire, I spooned on the new Shinko 712 today. I had to drill out the valve stem hole to take the new tubeless valve stem and ditch the inner tube. Don't worry the rim was marked for tubeless use. Much better!! I had never seen such a squared off tire coming from a PO that never leaned much with the old GS1000G. It was cupping bad too. Should eliminate the high speed weave that came on after maxxing the 85 MPH speedo on the highway. Of course I can only lean on this old beast so far before scraping the side stand on the left and the center stand to the right. Have to get them ground off to get anywhere near the edge of the chicken strip. Next up are the fork seals. I have them but will work on them tomorrow. BTW, another caution for not doing your own work. The PO had the dealer do his stuff, and I found the rear caliper missing a mounting bolt and the rear brake stay arm nut was loose and missing the cotter pin! Spline removed, cleaned, looks perfect and now freshly coated with new Moly60 grease.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Had this dropped of to me tonight. He wants a new throttle cable installed carbs and tank cleaned (did this like 3 years ago but he hasn't rode it much) and by the way can you remount the rest of the fairing, I ask if he has the screws or hardware answers uhmm no. Should be fun. Shame its been so neglected its a 86 gsxr750 frame number under 4200.
            sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
            1994 gsxr1100w
            1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

I got the 82 Virago to start..now to get it to run. Split a cord of wood. Cut out the pieces to a right hand gauntlet. Waged war on moles. A typical day.
              V
              Gustov
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              80 GS 550 L
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I put the carbs back on a ninja 900 (1984) for the third time…ARGH , clean, clean and clean! Flushed the tank again, put it all together started it up, still no love!
                Ran ok but not great, been though the motor and it still didn't run well. Adjusted the valves, new plugs, checked spark….Ect, Ect.
                SO I got a little upset and seeing it needed tires, chain , fork seals, new brakes, and all the body work was some what beat up. I thought Im selling it to fund some other projects!

2 hours on Craigs list and GONE! Must have set the price to low, but I only had a bit more than half of what I had in it. So best of luck to the new owner, I believe I did most of the dirty work (or at least some) and if he can work out a few more bugs and do some general maintenance he should have a runner, and it was all original and all there.

Comment

Replaced the timing belt, right side CV shaft, front sway bar bushings, plugs and wires, front rotors and brake pads on the econobox.
                  She runs GREAT now! Did not get to ride anywhere today though.

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post

Had this dropped of to me tonight. He wants a new throttle cable installed carbs and tank cleaned (did this like 3 years ago but he hasn't rode it much) and by the way can you remount the rest of the fairing, I ask if he has the screws or hardware answers uhmm no. Should be fun. Shame its been so neglected its a 86 gsxr750 frame number under 4200.
                    Looks like a limited. Unfortunate paint. No dry clutch.

Comment

Definitely not a limited. Got the carbs & tank done today also got a bunch of ss button head screws to piece the fairing back together found the battery is beyond dead the headlights were about to fall off made some patches out of alum. to hold the lights together. Just a shame to see it in such rough condition.
                      1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

Frankensteined the lights back together
                        1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
                          Definitely not a limited.
                          Not sure why you think that. It is a crappy picture but it doesn't look like stock plastic and those sure look like limited heal guards. Stock slabbies do not have heal guards.

Comment

I will get a better pic of it today I'm not that knowledgeable on these just didn't think its one because of no dry clutch and I don't think this guy would have one I don't think they were easy to get?
                            1994 gsxr1100w

Comment

Installed the carbs and airbox on the new 1100G. She started, now to empty the crankcase of all the gas and oil. Fresh oil, run it till it gets good and warm then drain it again and refill. Next the forks and bleeding the brakes.

V
                              Gustov
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              80 GS 550 L
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Pulled my carbs to find out why the bike was sputtering so bad on #2 (read all about it in the carb section OH OH a slight problem). Got it apart and pulled the fuel bowl off, didn't see anything out of place (could'a fixed itself when I was yanking the carb bank out lol). So anyways, replaced the float and needle, reset the float, reinstalled and everything was fine again in Suzieville.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X