No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to wheel the Bandit out of the garage and put the petcock on Prime for about 30 seconds.

Even after all that work, the bike took at least four seconds of cranking to light up after sitting all winter. Probably more like five seconds.

Of course, it ran like a watch after that, but I'm really getting tired of these unreliable, temperamental Japanese pieces of junk.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Yesterday I removed the forks, dismantled them and the old forks that I bent up in my accident last year, and compared the innards of the two sets. Found a discrepancy between the two, started a new thread on fork springs to see what conjectures people might have. Today I'm going to put the forks back together with new seals and the longer springs, then wheel the bike out in the driveway spray it with Jake's degreaser, hose it down good with my outside hot water and then pull the carbs to rebuild today and tomorrow.

Comment

Reinstalled the exhausts on the RZ350 I picked up a month ago. I know it's not a Suzuki.

Today's couple of hours will be trying to find out why it charges at 17 volts.

Chris
        1983 750 Katana
        1982 750 Katana (parts use)
        1983 RZ350

Comment

Its cold and rainy and i didnt get much sleep last night.. Havent dont crap and dont plan on it either...LOL
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nothing specifically GS-related. Organized garage into GS parts, GPz parts, TransAm parts. Put up all the tools that had been scattered throughout the garage and the house. Cleaned off the workbench so I can see the top again. Had spare time, so I pulled the battery out of the TransAm and took it back to Wally World. Tested bad, was just out of the 3 year Free Replacement period, and into the pro-rated period. Due to inability of personnel to understand how to pro-rate a battery (thanks, unskilled programmers! ) I received a brand-new battery and warranty for no charge. Now have it on the battery tender to top off the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Its cold and rainy and i didnt get much sleep last night.. Havent dont crap and dont plan on it either...LOL

Thats a good day

I worked on the forks from the skunk, polished up nicely. Still waiting for seals. Tomorrow hopefully.
              Head bairings, lock set and the thing will be ready to re-assemble.
              Thank God, Im so sick of looking at the messy garage.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

a little too wet out to wrench today but this week I'm going to get the crankcase out of my bullet. I'm going to upgrade the main bearings, piston rod and big-end bearings. These oem parts are crap

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
                  a little too wet out to wrench today but this week I'm going to get the crankcase out of my bullet. I'm going to upgrade the main bearings, piston rod and big-end bearings. These oem parts are crap

Whats a bullet?
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

thats slang for the engine..i think
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Put a new Petcock on my 1100E and then tried looking for an issue with my idle...sunny but no riding...

Comment

No Wrenching Today

I only replaced the ignition cover emblem on my '81 750E today. It had a little ding it that was really bugging me. Since it's going to be put on the market soon, I also cleaned it up. It was just too nice of a day, so I had to get the 1100E out and managed to log a little over a hundred miles in the Hill Country.

Comment

Finished cleaning & installing forks with new seals and the long springs out of the replacement forks I got. with new oil and all cleaned up, no leaks, I think the "dive" is now cured. Amazing how long we'll ride with major problems. Reason I say this is I just pulled my carbs, got #1 and #2 soaking. No wonder it ran so bad. They were almost plugged up with crap.

Comment

still wrestling with my rear M/C

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Hum, found front tire soft again, at about 15psi. Found same thing in Janauary.
                              Tire is not old, not worn. Have looked for something stuck in tire, not finding anything. Will look again. Wonder what else to look for..
                              Valve not screwed tight enough into the valve stem? Pump it up to like 35 lbs....soapy water on it. And around the beads too for that matter.
                              Heck...remove the valve and clean the thing up then screw it back in. Maybe theres some junk keeping it from seating fully.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Sigh....no wrenching, worked the last 7 days straight and still have 4 more to go.
                                My carbs are still on my work bench fully assembled with initial jetting done (we'll see when the plug chops start) Still waiting for my intake boots to arrive from the States. Vendor says they went out on the 20th.
                                Hoping to see them before the Good Friday holiday.
                                Carbs, Stainless boot screws, Boot O-rings....all waiting. Oh, and I charged up the battery too a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X