X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned and painted some more parts...

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Fabulous work Ed! soon you will have twins..

Comment

Started on a bit of a project . Before..... yesterday...

As we are today...

Engine top rebuild , a bit of soda blasting , swingarm/steering/wheel bearings , brake overhaul and a coupla beers to come in next month .

All it's bits ready for a bath .

Off to the cleaners then to see the doctor .

Tomorrow ..... ??

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Been working all weekend on the carbs off my 850G, cleaning and replacing the O-Rings and a LOT of screws. One of the PO's obviously had the carbs apart previously and several of the screw heads were pretty messed up. I am heading into Fastenal today to pickup some cap head screws for all of the rail mount screws, bowl screws and float cover screws. I will pickup up enough to do that on the 850L when I tear those carbs down next week (those are varnished up and have never been opened.)

I also started on my G model tail light LED conversion. I will post a thread on that once it is done.

Today I am gonna ball up, take my valve clearance measurements so while I have the cams off to replace the base gasket I can shim as need be, and pull the head and jugs. The foul weather outside is working for me because if I can't ride, I would rather not ride in crappy weather.

Comment

Replaced a leaking stator cover gasket on my 77 750, then put the tender on the 78 750 battery so it will be nice and fresh for tomorrows road trip up to rustybroncos so we can figure out whats up with the charging system. gotta trailer it there. Oh and forgot to add that after my 65 mile ride saturday, i decide to pull the plugs today on my 77 and check them for color, soot, whatever. figured 65 miles would give me a indication if it had any rich or lean cylinders. they all looked to be very consistant and what i would consider close to perfect color.. TAN but not a silvery GREY.. i can live with them as they are. I was a bit concerned after seeing the Georges carb thread. Before i found the forum he did mine and i had never checked the plugs after wards. Seems he did me good..
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Put the carbs back on the bike today, just waiting on the boot clamps and clutch cable to come in. They should be here Wed or so.

Comment

Finished up on the carbs, but I need another #4 to complete the job satisfactorily. Both the mixture needle and the air jet are frozen in the carb body. No load in idle, the right side pops on decel.
                Tomorrow I replace the tach drive seals, put on new front brake pads and change the oil. I also have to put my fairing and all that stuff back on.

Comment

Hi,

I started Jessie today!

I'm uploading a little video right now. I still have some tweaking and cleaning to do, but here are a couple of pictures. I'll give a full update in my "man cave" thread a little later.

My temporary tank made from an old gear oil bottle, my old IV stand, some fuel hose, and a connector...

And here is a mock-up shot with most everything back together...

I need to get some rust out of the gas tank before the final assembly. But I'm that much closer now. I think I'm going to like the sound of the "new" L exhaust. It's a little louder but has a nice growl.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Lookin' good, Cliff. I may do blue instead of black if I ever get the bed liner off my 1000.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Congrats, Cliff. Looking good.

Not much going on in the koolaid garage yesterday. Put a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket in an attempt to lower highway revs. If I don''t like it, the smaller one is in the wings.
                      Finally got the airbox in from Babbitts last night. Last chance to do my generic relay mod while everything is out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Cleaned and painted some more parts...
                        Ed, you are an artiste. Your projects are the pinnacle of restorative efforts. It should really be something when you're done. Thanks for the pictures.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wrenched on my KLR 650 today. Not really wrenched on it, but I fixed it. It quit running, all the lights and everything turned off.
                          So I kicked it in the left side, on the frame just below the engine. Kicked it pretty hard, but not hard enough to hurt my foot, (with boots on). All the lights came on, and it started running again.

Does that count?

GS content: I would have been riding the GS but my granddaughter can't reach the rear pegs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            So I kicked it in the left side, on the frame just below the engine. Kicked it pretty hard, but not hard enough to hurt my foot, (with boots on). All the lights came on, and it started running again.

Does that count?

Are you any relation to "The Fonz"?

Comment

Worked on the forks today.

Frame, frame parts and wheels this past weekend. My sand blaster was acting up so I was only able to do the crutial parts. Hand sanded the rest.

sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

went up to rustybroncos and got schooled on charging system checking..still a bit confused but i kinda get the idea..i worked a side job till around 445 hanging overhead duct work in a basement..then went to Dales after that.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X