what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    Is there any pressure up there anyway? Seems like the breather would release any built up pressure. Maybe after a lengthy ride with oil splashing around in there would be more revealing if it was to leak.
    I think there will still be some pressure buildup to a point. Increase in heat means increase in pressure. Can't defy the laws of physics Captain!
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]61810[/ATTACH]l
      It's noy easy pulling an engine by yourself. I think I have a couple new bruises on my arms.
      Probably uttered a few new cuss words too. Been there.
      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Went to put the crankcase halves back together after putting in a "new to me" crankshaft and piston rod for number 3 cylinder of the FZ1. Clymer said to torque the 6mm bolts to 106 ft lbs. It stated that in three different places. I thought it sounded like an awful lot, especially since my two torque wrenches only go up to 80 ft lbs. Did some more research and, yes, it's supposed to be 106 in lbs. Crikey!
        Current Bikes:

Comment

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing at the FZ1 reinstallation difficulty. They're lighter than a GS1100 - or a 750 for that matter. Try a Laverda triple. Just like a motorcycle - only heavier.
          I have a bench here with a permanent bend in it from doing a couple of triples. And getting one back in can require three people unless you lay it on it's side and put the frame over it...

Anyway, I've been fighting electrical gremlins for several days now. A little racebike - half an FZR250/4 - a twin. The hacksaw special, lol. Std Yamaha ignition on a simple loom with single lead coils.
          And no spark. Did a final check for continuity this morning before returning various components to the seller - and the darn thing worked. No idea what's different but I'll take it.
          Then before putting it on the rollers and firing it up, I checked the tyre pressures - and the rear valve was torn.
          So a mad rush to get it to a shop before the weekend - a long one here. Valve duly changed
          So tomorrow it's back into sorting carburation. 28mm semi-downdraft Keihins (off an NSR250 Honda) running at a steeper angle than they are designed for. It's close but not yet good enough to road test.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            I'm sorry, but I'm laughing at the FZ1 reinstallation difficulty. They're lighter than a GS1100 - or a 750 for that matter. Try a Laverda triple. Just like a motorcycle - only heavier.
            I have a bench here with a permanent bend in it from doing a couple of triples. And getting one back in can require three people unless you lay it on it's side and put the frame over it...

Anyway, I've been fighting electrical gremlins for several days now. A little racebike - half an FZR250/4 - a twin. The hacksaw special, lol. Std Yamaha ignition on a simple loom with single lead coils.
            And no spark. Did a final check for continuity this morning before returning various components to the seller - and the darn thing worked. No idea what's different but I'll take it.
            Then before putting it on the rollers and firing it up, I checked the tyre pressures - and the rear valve was torn.
            So a mad rush to get it to a shop before the weekend - a long one here. Valve duly changed
            So tomorrow it's back into sorting carburation. 28mm semi-downdraft Keihins (off an NSR250 Honda) running at a steeper angle than they are designed for. It's close but not yet good enough to road test.
            Well, I'm glad I can provide some humor to your day.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
              Well, I'm glad I can provide some humor to your day.
              At the moment, it's the little things that amuse. No offense intended. Clearing the decks here prior to another go-round in hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                At the moment, it's the little things that amuse. No offense intended. Clearing the decks here prior to another go-round in hospital.
                None taken. I was genuinely glad I could provide some amusement.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Ugh. I think I have a failed lifter.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Got my old refurbished Kerker back on my Cooley...a buddy fixed all the "curb dents"...some pin holes and fixed the loose baffle and repacked it. And he had his buddy ceramic coat it...is chose a satin finish...very happy.

No signature

Comment

Looks great Trevor. Glad to see that you're keeping your mind and body occupied.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I agree with Glen; how are you feeling?
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good job, Trevor!

Nice to have two Cooleys! I can take one off your hands...what’s your price? Lol

Glad you are also staying busy/occupied and your body is healing.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I had a Kerker like that on my GPz550. Loved the sound.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Trying to get the brakes in order before the winter. 1999 Pajero.
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm feeling better most days...with set backs here and there...Started physio and been a bit sore from that...felt good to be out in the garage for a while but boy did I pay for that night...did not sleep well at all...
                                Patience
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X