No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped the swingarm I think for the final time. More pictures in my project thread (81 GS550T in Co Sprgs)

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Didn't bother with any pictures, but TCK came over this evening and I finally got my fingernails dirty for the first time in over three weeks.

Got the secondary drive back in on my son's 850. Will get the swingarm and the rest of the rear end on tomorrow when I get back from the dentist.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Suzuki Barn

Fighting the weather yesterday (snowstorm) and today (windy and cloudy) and made some progress!

The snow was blowing parallel to the ground yesterday, it IS COVERED!

I'll be trying to attempt a start on the roof tomorrow if the wind and snow don't kick up again.
        4 X 8 sheets of plywood, made some pretty good sails yesterday.
        It's a little tough by yourself...

Daniel
        Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2010, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Daniel, I'm staying tuned on your adventure with this as I plan on starting mine in the next few months. I'll have some help but not much.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Thanks GSR

I fired the 750 up today for the first time! I still need to sync the carbs and colortune, maybe rejet too. Once the fuel bowls filled up it only took about 5 seconds of cranking and she was alive. After about 3 min on 1/2 choke, she would idle with no choke at 1000 rpm. I keep hearing a popping sound through the #1 air filter at idle but it quits when I rev it. Those VM29ss carbs sure are responsive too! I let the bike sit for about 4 hours to cool and started it again, just a touch of the starter and she came to life with ease! I just love properly cleaned carbs and adjusted valves! Couldn't have done it without all the info here!

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS750 View Post
              I fired the 750 up today for the first time! I still need to sync the carbs and colortune, maybe rejet too. Once the fuel bowls filled up it only took about 5 seconds of cranking and she was alive. After about 3 min on 1/2 choke, she would idle with no choke at 1000 rpm. I keep hearing a popping sound through the #1 air filter at idle but it quits when I rev it. Those VM29ss carbs sure are responsive too! I let the bike sit for about 4 hours to cool and started it again, just a touch of the starter and she came to life with ease! I just love properly cleaned carbs and adjusted valves! Couldn't have done it without all the info here!

Awesome awesome awesome!!!
              Im right there with ya. Just started a perfectly running 650E after sitting for 25 years.
              Absolutely amazing!
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yup, I put the Competition baffle in the V&H megaphone........... Boy is that a sweet sound! The neighbors probably won't be too happy though.

Comment

Suzuki Barn

More progress today with some help from a riding buddy.

Finished the window framing...

Finished doubling up the main truss...

Got a couple of the roof trusses up and you can see the overhang...

Shortened the overhang in the front to 4 feet...

Tomorrow, he is coming over to help with more of the roof trusses and the center support.

Daniel

Comment

Looks like the perfect anchor point for a bike or engine lift.

Shed is looking great!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                      Looks like the perfect anchor point for a bike or engine lift.
                      That is the same exact thing that I was telling my helper today.

Daniel

Comment

A customer's car...........

Comment

Progress is going slow...
                          I am a bit anal about measurements, being square and level.
                          Yes, I know that it is being over-built.

There will be cross-bacing where the loose 2x 4 is as well as to the center bottom of the upright.
                          I am trying to spread the load out so that it will require NO posts inside to get in the way and for the upper deck storage area. (attic)

Daniel

Comment

Pulled carbs to bring them inside.
                            Idea is that sometime during the long dark cold winter will dig further into the carbs, more than I ever have before. Got the oring kit from RObert Barr last year and only replaced the oring on the air screw.
                            Will investigate what Brian said about maybe an air leak around the choke mechinism.

That didnt take long.
                            And since I was all bundled up for the cold,
                            I went out for a walk.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Replaced the spark plugs in a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (interesting design but I still hate them) and rode the horses for a bit.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I finished up the valves in my friends YZF600R today. learning how to do shim under bucket valves was interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X