No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather turned really cold, for the gulf coast area of Texas that is. High today was 40 and going into the 20's tonight. Bitter wind straight from the north all day at 15-25 mph. I have no heat in my workshop so I wimped out today and stayed inside. I did put together a pretty nice parts order and send it off to Parts Shark. It should warm up enough by the middle of the week to finish removing everything from the frame.

Comment

Finished hanging trusses on one side/ trimmed the overhang and got a few more up on the other side...
      (by myself)

This is how they are fastened...
      (1 5/8" screws, 2 3/8" 12D's and a 16D toed in.)

Daniel

Comment

Did some more work on the swingarm today. It's going to be getting nasty later this week so I don't know if I can get to paint it next weekend or not. Sure wish we had more daylight in the evenings.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cowboy, that swing arm is coming right along! It sure looks like it has been a lot of work!

As far as one of my projects...

Today's progress. I tried to show HOW I got the 4 x 8 sheet of sheathing up by myself.
          I nailed some roofing nails where it was supposed to stop falling after I got it up in the d*mn 15-20mph wind!
          I started by pushing it up the ladder and then sideways to catch a nail, sort of...

That was all that I got done while freezing my butt off...

Getting the tarp back up in the wind, was the REAL CHALLENGE!

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel. I can really only work on the weekends right now since I have to do everything outside and by the time I get home it's already dark. I managed to do the grinder in my shed but the light's so bad I don't dare risk it at night. Another thing on my list - pick up a new shop light.

Looks like that must have been fun playing with the huge sail. It's coming right along though. My uncle and I did some figuring on Friday so I'll start mine probably late next month.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I didn't take a picture of the damage to the first sheet that almost made it up from inside.
              It had an attraction to the threshold of the door frame. The wind caught me and I almost fell.
              On a positive note, I have to cut 2 feet off of a piece that will go out back anyway.
              On an even better note, I believe that Dec. 22 is the shortest day of the year and the Sun will start to be up longer very soon.

Daniel

Comment

Today I had help!!! My wife volunteered.
                It was a beautiful day and almost 50 degrees! All that I could think of was going for a ride!
                As another storm is due in a couple of days bringing single digit temperatures and snow...
                the motorcycle ride had to wait.
                First, my wife took bleach to the mold on some of the lumber then I showed her how to operate my paint gun.
                While I finished cutting and installing all of the cross-braces on the trusses, none of which needed any nails to hold them, she went nuts with my paint spray gun!
                She coated all of the exposed wood 3 times and the painted boards twice with waterproofing paint.
                Then, while I was cutting the parts for the front wall, she cleaned out the floor and sprayed it another couple of coats.
                That's her in one of my jumpsuits. We also got another 4 x 8 on the roof.

It looks a lot bigger without everything inside... (it will be over-crowded soon enough)

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by MMIssile View Post
                  A customer's car...........

Nice superbird!

Probably my favorite car ever, just grew up fascinated by the Look of them, lol.

Comment

Well the weather is turning to sh*t! High of 38 degrees.
                    We (wife and I) managed to get a few more 4 x 8's onto the roof but, the wind was getting to be too much
                    to get the last two on that would have covered the majority of it.
                    So, we fought with the tarp and got most of it covered.
                    I got one of the windows installed also.
                    Just trying to block as much wind, snow, etc. from getting in/on it before it gets painted and sealed up.
                    We/I will attempt to get the last two on the roof and finish the other window tomorrow. Maybe...

The rear corner that still needs to be covered...

Looking out the front...

One window installed...

Also got the front tire mounted and just about ready to install on "Goldy"...

I still have to get the fork lowers powder-coated and paint the calipers.

Daniel

Comment

Okay, I'll play.
                      Been workin on my brothers Jeep today, the ENTIRE floor was rotted out, and frame was rusted as well.

So we hadda cut it out.
                      And the 5-spd needed a rebuild too.

I angle-grinded the frame today, I got the Drivers sides almost completely rust-free, but THIS pic shows the Passenger side still needs some work on the inner-frame.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2010, 12:43 AM.

Comment

And I used electrolysis and a hell of a lot of angle-grinding to de-rust some 1/4 Inch flat steel, I got from the junkyard.

This is basically a before and after picture.
                        (the small-plate looked exactly like the large plate before this.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                          Okay, I'll play.
                          Been workin on my brothers Jeep today, the ENTIRE floor was rotted out, and frame was rusted as well.

So we hadda cut it out.
                          And the 5-spd needed a rebuild too.

I angle-grinded the frame today, I got the Drivers sides almost completely rust-free, but THIS pic shows the Passenger side still needs some work on the inner-frame.
                          Now THAT is what you call a PROJECT...yeesh! Good luck!

Comment

Wow, that thing been sitting on a dirt parking area for a long time? What's that thing worth?

Comment

Originally posted by MMIssile View Post
                              What's that thing worth?
                              If, it is a '98 with all of the whistles and bells: http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1998/...dard-Equipment

I would think that you could find a much better body/frame to start with for very little $$$.
                              And have plenty of spare parts... engine, tranny, transfer case, rear ends, etc....

Daniel

Comment

Yeah, but it'll take IED's with that new floor. Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                                X