No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt both front and rear master cylinders and all 3 brake calipers on my 82 1100 GL project..
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Started rebuilding more stators. Unwound 3 850 stators; 2 of them are going to need the posts' epoxy layer repaired prior to rewinding, but the 3rd is ready to go. The bummer of the first 2 is that it is too cold here for the epoxy to set, so they will have to wait.

Comment

Dropped my tank for the 79 GS1000EN off at the radiator shop for the full monty. He will sandblast the inside and outside, repair any holes (I know there is at least one) and do a 2 part baked on coating on the inside to permanently seal it against rust. It will totally remove the finish on the tank but that's okay in this instance since it will be getting new paint as part of the rebuild. It won't be ready for a couple of weeks so I'll post pics after I get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Rebuilt both front and rear master cylinders and all 3 brake calipers on my 82 1100 GL project..
          Now that is some real progress!

Daniel

Comment

Doing final cleanup on the engine bits I have in my possesion, ready for the cylinder and head to come home from the head shop. Currently waiting for the shop to heat up enough so I can paint the valve cover.
            Also waiting for the propellor shaft boot; I'll do a cleanup in that area when the wheel and swingarm are off.
            Also waiting for fork seals and progressive springs....it was my intention to tackle all of these areas this winter when I acquired the bike last May (traded my '82 650L with 17,000K on it straight across).
            Bike ran fine over the summer, except for obvious carb problems from having sat since 2002.

Comment

Nice work, Daniel !!! Looks ALL to familiar.

If rust were never an issue, one could make make a vehicle last nearly forever.

Comment

Fuel System

Today, I flushed out the fuel tank and rebuilt the petock on my '75 GT750. Next, I'll remove the carbs and clean them out.

Comment

Got a little more done today, in the best of working conditions.
                  Woke up to this at 7 A...

The Sun pretended to come out and the snow started to melt.
                  Got some more braces in, the piece over the doorway and started on the rear
                  top framing.
                  While listening to the radio, they said that there was a 90% chance of snow and chains with 4 x 4 was required in the mountain passes.
                  Pulled the tarp of and secured it enough to not blow off in the wind.
                  Got ready to slam the last two 4 x 8's up to cover the roof.

Grabbed the wife and got them installed. (barely) Then, covered the mess up, fast!

Will work on the framing for the overhangs another time.
                  Enough for today. Time to work on some carbs in the garage.

Weather is looking good for the rest of the week:
                  (From NOAA.gov)

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Winter Weather Advisory

This Afternoon: Snow showers. High near 38. Breezy, with a west wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 11. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Thursday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 25. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 5. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 25. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.

New Year's Day: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15.

Sunday: A slight chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 31.

Daniel
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    Okay, I'll play.
                    Been workin on my brothers Jeep today, the ENTIRE floor was rotted out, and frame was rusted as well.

So we hadda cut it out.
                    And the 5-spd needed a rebuild too.

I angle-grinded the frame today, I got the Drivers sides almost completely rust-free, but THIS pic shows the Passenger side still needs some work on the inner-frame.
                    Hey, it's a JEEP, they're made that way (to rust out in every conceivable location). I've got a '74 CJ6 and mine was like that. I've still got to finish it right, but it's got floorboards and a somewhat solid frame again, just have the floorboards bolted in though, I haven't welded them yet.

Comment

I just started doing more work on my 1000G. Took off all the metal bits around the tail light and rear turning lights and rear fender brace. Got them sand blasted and primed, ready for paint.

Comment

I started this thread in march 2010 just because i was bored and wondering what other people were doing to break the cabin fever..I cant believe it has been going so long!!! Wonder now what has been the longest running thread here on the forum so far???
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just installed a set of Dyna Green coils to match the ignition (huge upgrade over stock coils), 8mm wires, and a ceramic socket for the headlight bulb. My Progressive rear shocks should be here tomorrow so they are wrenched in advance.
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

today I wrenched on my spare 900F motor for my CB900C that is recieving her organ transplant from the younger motor soon.

then I went and handled an old friend's shrubbery. the knights of Ni demanded a sacrifice, so I cut parts of a shrubbery.

Comment

Today I helped (not very well) work on a brand new LS7 Turn Key Long Travel Predator Sand Rail Front A Arm. $140,000 new and 2nd run decided to jump the same jumps trophy trucks were hitting. $4,000 worth of damage

Comment

Picked up the front fork bits this AM, tackled that project on the GS850 after lunch.....all bolts came loose without sacrificing a goat....YA......HOO....drained the fork legs, they did not have precisely 251cc of fluid in them, I'll leave them to drain overnite. I'll take the forks apart tomorrow and put the new seals in, plus the brand new Progressive springs....cool....I'm going to try Castrol 10W non-detergent in the forks, with no air pressure.

Thought I had a brake fluid leak, but the fork seals were actually sufficiently gone to allow much fork oil to drip past the calipers and onto the floor......brake pads are dry, great, have enough little projects without adding....

Having everything apart on the front gives me an opportunity to straighten my askew headlight ear, and repaint both. I'll also swap bars for something 2" lower and 2" less pull-back than the stock 1980 bars.

No head and cylinder back yet, the head shop is closed over the winter break. I was hoping he could glass blast my valve cover, and I'd then paint all three pieces with VHT silver. Oh, well, lots of winter yet to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X