Page 758 of 781 FirstFirst ... 258658708748756757758759760768 ... LastLast
Results 7,571 to 7,580 of 7804

Thread: what did you wrench on today??

I ended up using a soft bit of timber and a lump hammer, problem was solved pretty quickly with no damage to the head

Head's now all swapped out and looking good, update in my Kat thread if you're overly keen.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Changed out the RF600R's voltage regulator today. Still over charging..... hmm......
    1994 Suzuki RF600R
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2020 Suzuki Katana

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser View Post
    Changed out the RF600R's voltage regulator today. Still over charging..... hmm......
    Maybe bad ground, specifically to the RR or the mounting bracket it is mounted on. No ground, no regulation...

09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Re-assembled the carbs on the skunk this morning. (After 4 days of cleaning.)

It's a whole lot of fun when you get a set of carbs already broken down in a box!

Amazingly, they were all there, minus the circlips that go on the choke plunger rods.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!

2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1983 GS1100E - aka: the ratbike
    1981 GS1100E - very slow work in progress!
    1985 GS550E - might never get to it!

Installed the carbs on the skunk today. Stuck a battery in it and connected the auxillary fuel tank. Guess what...IT'S ALIVE!

It actually sounded pretty good! Idles well and revs like it should. Love the sound of the Kerker! No smoke or unusual loud engine noises. Shifts thru the gears like it should. Most of the electrics seem to be working.

Guess I'll have to get it road-worthy now!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!

2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1983 GS1100E - aka: the ratbike
    1981 GS1100E - very slow work in progress!
    1985 GS550E - might never get to it!

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

A while back my speedo needle started bouncing and eventually quit moving alltogether. Replaced it with another and it was good for a thousand miles or so, now it's doing the same thing. This time I pried open the bezel to clean and lube everything inside before it's totally shot.

It was a bit gunked up but not too bad.

After a good spritz of carb cleaner and some lithiumm grease, I reassembled it. After a good three hour ride tonight, the needle is pretty steady with a tiny bounce around 80mph.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

That's a good job. What did you use to pretty is the bezel? I've tried this a couple of times before to address speedo and tacho problems (dirty faces, needle) and have made a mess of the bezels. I found the steel bezel crimping to stuff to move without a screwdriver but the edges were too sharp to stretch the metal without distortion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Suzukis: GS650G Katana - rusty and unwell but getting attention
    GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; GS425 - rusty, worn out and in boxes
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

The power switch went bad on my garage stereo....Haven't found a replacement yet, so I am going to open it up, and see if it is fixable.

Kenwood KR-710 by R John Thieda, on Flickr
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by LeT View Post
    That's a good job. What did you use to pretty is the bezel? I've tried this a couple of times before to address speedo and tacho problems (dirty faces, needle) and have made a mess of the bezels. I found the steel bezel crimping to stuff to move without a screwdriver but the edges were too sharp to stretch the metal without distortion.
    So, the original speedo with the white plastic housing (in the background in my pic) was too difficult to pry open, plus it was shot and not worh the effort. The replacement unit has an orange housing and the metal wasn't crimped nearly as tightly. I was able to pry against the orange housing with a flat blade screwdriver working my way around. After reassembling it, the thick rubber gasket hid most of the chipped finish on the metal bezel.

I'm not sure what model or year the orange speedo came from. Bought it from another member who said it was from an "L".
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
    So, the original speedo with the white plastic housing (in the background in my pic) was too difficult to pry open, plus it was shot and not worh the effort. The replacement unit has an orange housing and the metal wasn't crimped nearly as tightly. I was able to pry against the orange housing with a flat blade screwdriver working my way around. After reassembling it, the thick rubber gasket hid most of the chipped finish on the metal bezel.

I'm not sure what model or year the orange speedo came from. Bought it from another member who said it was from an "L".
    as a CAUTION: I'd love to find and orange tachometer one for my 1981 GSX400E....the White ones (very common) do not fit the housing...

De crimping definitely stretches the metal and is impossible to re-shrink-crimp perfectly in my skillset...sigh
    An OPTION is to CUT the ring, drill tiny holes and cinch the ends back together with a twisted wire 'buckle" where it can least be seen.. It's also far from perfect and is harder to re-assemble but is worth a try if you have a sacrificial spare?