what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Retrosteve View Post
    Mounted the new horns in their rightful place and took another engine case off ready for its matt black paint . I got the idea of matt black casings from Mr Kaplan who was showing a Gs 1000 with the black casings . With the chrome allen bolts it really sets it off
    Retrosteve are you referring to the custom "GSF1200ST" that Ken's head mechanic put together? '79 GS1000 frame married to Bandit monoshock, front axle, etc and a 1216cc kitted black painted GSXR 1110 motor?
    Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
    Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Originally posted by Runningdog View Post
      I spent the afternoon fartin' aboot with the carb on the DT250.....rebuilt last week (boiled it in lemon juice and water, cleaner than when it came from the factory), but couldn't get it to fire. Finally discovered some idiot had put the floats in upside down (funny, they looked right when the whole carb was upside down on the bench). No factory setting for the idle speed needle, cranked it further in than I thought was necessary, kicked once, and the darn thing started!!!!

Back-yard mechanics........
      Huh, found an old post of mine, thought all the old stuff had disappeared. Date indicates that it was originally posted within a year or two of my first being a GSR member.

Comment

Nothing today. That will change tomorrow though. On the 1 hour drive to look at it I told myself I wasn't going to buy it but it turned out to be a bit better than expected, when I seen the headlight I had to have it. Says it was running but had an electrical issue.
        First step will be verifying crankpin phasing I guess. If that checks out I'll do a quick valve set, then cold compression test and decide where to go from there. Only 35,000 miles so we'll see. It's an 82 1100E for those without Psychic powers, there is a mint one about 30 minutes away that just came up for sale and I know it would be cheaper to just buy that one but I'm just stupid apparently.
        Even if the crank is good I would like to get it welded if I can find someone to do it. No luck checking today, hopefully I can find someone in B.C. or Alberta. suzy.jpg
        Last edited by Big Block; 03-07-2024, 02:22 AM.
        1986 1150EF
        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Crank welding is kinda overblown. Unless you are looking to get big power (140+) and drag race it. I have an '80 1100e drag bike that has broken a lot of stuff but not a crank.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I'm back in carb hell, agreed to help a friend get his '80 XS1100 Midnight Special on the road, I had gone through these carbs over the winter, I finally have the bike in hand to install them on and see how it runs. Well, it floods out in like 10 seconds of running, just dumping fuel like crazy. This is after passing a leakdown test on the bench just fine mind you. Well, I pulled the identical '80 BS34s off my '78 XS1100E to compare and also to tackle some low-end richness that bike had still been dealing with. Better hope I sort this out or else you guys are gonna see me down at this year's Indiana rally on my 800lb Voyager!!

IMG_2537.jpg
            Attached Files
            Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
            Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Finished mocking up the basketcase I bought Wednesday. Much better than expected luckily. Only missing the side covers and 2 handfuls of fasteners. Also the engine checked out great, so I'll just install valve seals and a few gaskets and it will be ready to go. Now the ugly part, tear it all back down and clean and paint everything. Looking forward to assembling everything again but clean. 1100e mock.jpg
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Front and rear suspensions are clean and back on. 1 carb and the front M/C screw were going to fight me but Mr. Lincoln fixed that in short order. Waiting for 5 shipments of parts all due to arrive next week, have to order 3 more bits I think. No rush as the Honda is itching to go anyway but I should have this riding in a month or two at the most. 1100eh2.jpg
                1986 1150EF
                2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Ha, ha. Checking stuff while waiting for parts, So I have to source another darn clutch hub. One on the 1150 was cracked, this one a previous owner let nut get a bit loose and the splines are NG. Probably would have been okay for a while but knowing it is on it's way out I can't let it be. another clutch hub.jpg
                  1986 1150EF
                  2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post

Retrosteve are you referring to the custom "GSF1200ST" that Ken's head mechanic put together? '79 GS1000 frame married to Bandit monoshock, front axle, etc and a 1216cc kitted black painted GSXR 1110 motor?
                    Hello , it could be that one . Is there anyway the pictures of that bike could be posted on here , it would be good for reference to replicate

Comment

Working...
                    X