Page 770 of 779 FirstFirst ... 270670720760768769770771772 ... LastLast
Results 7,691 to 7,700 of 7790

Thread: what did you wrench on today??

Quote Originally Posted by alke46 View Post
    Checking the stator today. Bad news, it failed the test.

Looks like it is shopping time for a new one.

Any suggestions as to which brand and where to buy from?

Thanks.
    I replaced mine with an Electrosport, been great for 3 years so far. Also read good thing about Rick’s. Properly clean all connection and grounds. Eliminate the headlamp loop. Hopefully you’re also upgrading your RR to an SH775 at the same time.

[QUOTE=alke46;2652540]Checking the stator today. Bad news, it failed the test.

Thanks(/QUOTE)

I have had this company rewind my stator,they're in Alabama;I highly recommend them because they do it all in-house and keeps quality.The owner has a speech impediment and it's difficult to understand him but his girlfriend is very clear.The place is called Custom Rewind.They are customrewindstators.com and they are good at what they do.
    I sent them a burned-up stator from a bike they had never done before;they didn't have that particular one's prior specs in their logs so I sent them my NOS OEM spare(which I never want to use,really)and they tested it and recorded the specs and then rebuilt mine 'to spec'.
    They are familiar with Suzuki GS stators and have some in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    I replaced mine with an Electrosport, been great for 3 years so far. Also read good thing about Rick’s. Properly clean all connection and grounds. Eliminate the headlamp loop. Hopefully you’re also upgrading your RR to an SH775 at the same time.
    Headlight loop already done as well as the install of the SH775.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

[QUOTE=grcamna2;2652545]
    Quote Originally Posted by alke46 View Post
    Checking the stator today. Bad news, it failed the test.

Thanks(/QUOTE)

I have had this company rewind my stator,they're in Alabama;I highly recommend them because they do it all in-house and keeps quality.The owner has a speech impediment and it's difficult to understand him but his girlfriend is very clear.The place is called Custom Rewind.They are customrewindstators.com and they are good at what they do.
    I sent them a burned-up stator from a bike they had never done before;they didn't have that particular one's prior specs in their logs so I sent them my NOS OEM spare(which I never want to use,really)and they tested it and recorded the specs and then rebuilt mine 'to spec'.
    They are familiar with Suzuki GS stators and have some in stock.
    Thanks Bill, I will check them out.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

The basic idea is courtesy of Salty Monk, but the GK has the fatter forks so I doubted that the brackets he sells would work. Calipers and Master cylinder were from Ebay. The CBR600 disks are aftermarket "Metal Gear" (for no reason other than thats what was available at the time.) The PCD of the Honda bolts is the same as Suzuki, but the holes need to be enlarged to Suzi bolt size. Caliper mounts are Concours, with additional piece welded on (professional welder and tested/certified afterwards).Everything aligned nicely afterward with the calipers right in position over the disks with no shimming necessary. The master cylinder is nice with the span adjustable lever.Calipers rebuilt with new seals and pads. All in all, a successful swap
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    A few weekends ago I drove to WV to pick up a FREE complete exhaust for my bike. Guy from a Facebook group with cafe racer dreams for his T wanted it gone. Baffles are perfect, but the rest has a lot of rust. My pipes are near perfect but PO took a Playschool drill to the baffles. Research after the fact leaves me with the understanding that swapping baffles from his to mine is highly improbable.

So today I grabbed some Diet Coke and aluminum foil and started rubbing the rusty pipes. A short time working showed that they’ll never look as good as mine but could end up as passable, until I discovered a flange with a broken tab looking like A kid’s tooth that should have fallen out of his mouth on its own about 4 days ago. May try to use it anyway if it’s the biggest problem with the set.

Mine:

Rusty set with perfect baffles after about an hour of work on the right pipe. Left side has much worse rust.

Header pipes are cleaning up nicely.
    Before:

After:

Broken tooth:
    Hey Rich,

wow...those are seriously rusted. Mine weren't half as bad but I did have a crack in one of the joints. MrBill suggested 4-1 pipes to shed 20-30lbs and they've worked out great!

Here's the entire unit:

t

And of course after install with one last head bolt to go...can you see the "u-joint" that connects the engine guard?

Good luck with your project, Rich.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-23-2021 at 07:56 AM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Default Track Bike Runnin REEL GOOD

Wasted a weekend on a front sprocket change that did not fit.
    I should have been road testing this bike. Time ran out.
    After putting the bike back TG, I did a warm up video.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Wasted a weekend on a front sprocket change that did not fit.
    I should have been road testing this bike. Time ran out.
    After putting the bike back TG, I did a warm up video.

What type of top-triple is on this bike ?

Yesterday I drove from Grants Pass Oregon to S. Orange County CA - 768 miles. Basically the length of California. I was towing my '69 Airstream with my Grand Cherokee, and it took me from 7 AM to 10PM. Lots of coffee and a couple of 30 minute naps to refresh, as I didn't sleep well given the 550 mile day previously from Northern WA to Grants Pass. That's the longest I've been on the road since I did an 1100 mile run from Daytona Beach to San Antonio as a 20 year old - on a GS1100E (!).

A big motivation was getting back to my bikes. The '79 GS1000E worked on itself in my absence, as the newly rebuilt brakes have firmed up just by sitting in the garage. I think it's too much to ask for it to adjust its own valves, so I will get to it pronto.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldGSfan View Post
    Yesterday I drove from Grants Pass Oregon to S. Orange County CA - 768 miles. Basically the length of California. I was towing my '69 Airstream with my Grand Cherokee, and it took me from 7 AM to 10PM. Lots of coffee and a couple of 30 minute naps to refresh, as I didn't sleep well given the 550 mile day previously from Northern WA to Grants Pass. That's the longest I've been on the road since I did an 1100 mile run from Daytona Beach to San Antonio as a 20 year old - on a GS1100E (!).

A big motivation was getting back to my bikes. The '79 GS1000E worked on itself in my absence, as the newly rebuilt brakes have firmed up just by sitting in the garage. I think it's too much to ask for it to adjust its own valves, so I will get to it pronto.

That's a tiring day Tom.I like your avatar:love Curly.