New member with new(old) bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member with new(old) bike.

Hello. I am Brian from IL. I just purchased a 1979 GS550. I am rebuilding the carbs and was looking for rebuild kits. However the ones I have come across have a second gasket that doesn't look like it would fit my carbs.

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...w&title=SUZUKI

Does anyone know place that would sell kits for my carbs?

Welcome Brian. I wouldn't waste your time and money on the rebuild kits. The brass parts are usually less than OEM quality and these bikes do not take well to being mistuned. Cycleorings.com (Duanne a member here) has what you need to rebuild the carbs and Basscliff will be along to throw down the Red Door Mat, for you. Sit back and enjoy this site. There are a few with more knowledge than all the shops you could locate, combined.

Again, and Welcome.

Here are a few links to get you started.

Yo...Cliff...

Comment

I have having trouble identifying the carbs. The title says its a 79 and should have the VM series carbs but they look more like the BA series. The top cover is round and everything I have read shows the carbs have more of and oval cover. Did 79 come with both series?

http://cycleorings.com/ has the VM series for pre-80 and the BA series for 80 and up.

Comment

Are you certain yours is a 79? Do you have a kick-starter? 79 was the last year of VM carbs - 1980 started the CV era. If you look on the GSR front page you'll find a carb rebuild link, which goes to the CV carb rebuild series. You can also see the VM carb rebuild guide here:

Compare the pics with what you've got.

Comment

The carbs in the link you sent me are not the ones on the bike. They are the ones in the guide here:

The title says its a79. Is there anything else I can look for that help identify the year?

Comment

Those are CVs then. Circa 80-82. Title only goes with the frame, your bike may have had a motor or just a head swap. The kick start also went away in 80 IIRC, and I know the ignition went from points to factory electronic ignition in 80. Try removing the ignition cover on the right (round, 3 screws). Have points or a signal generator?

Comment

Also keep in mind that the '80s were started in about September of '79, so if somebody just looked at the production date and called it by that model year, ...

Look at the plate on the steering neck, identify the production date for us.
              And, while you are there, see if there is a letter at the end of the serial number.
              If it's T, it's an '80. If it's N, it's a '79.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. barn63,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you've found us. The '79 had VM carbs, which is what that gasket looks like. The '80 and later had CV carbs. Post up a picture of your bike so we can properly identify it. Either way, you probably should pass on the "rebuild kits", except for the float bowl gasket, and go with a set of O-rings from http://cycleorings.com . Then completely disassemble and dip your carbs in Berryman's carb dip for about 24 hours each. It's all in your "mega-welcome"....

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barn63 View Post
                  Hello. I am Brian from IL.
                  Where at in IL? We have a lot of members in Illinois...

If you live anywhere close, the annual Joe Nardy tire party is on the 10th...
                  Good chance to meet some folks even if you don't need tires...

Linky here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155319
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies. I checked the plate by the neck. The manufacturer date is 12/79. The only other number I really saw didn't end T or N. It was GS550E-713204. There is no kick start lever but there looks like a spot where one could possibly be installed.

I am located in Macomb IL.

Comment

Hi,

No kickstart? Then it's a 1980 model.

BassCliff

Comment

Brian,

Like Bass Cliff (and I'm wondering if that is musician Bass Cleff or fisherman Bassmaster on a cliff) said, all you really need for now is the o-rings. Just follow the instructions carefully. You don't need to buy rebuild kits. I am amazed at how well my 550 runs with a $15 kit and a bunch of Gumout and cleaning.

Comment

Wow, so the title is wrong? So, what all do I need to rebuild the carbs properly?

Comment

Originally posted by barn63 View Post
                            Wow, so the title is wrong? So, what all do I need to rebuild the carbs properly?
                            Hi,

You need to read the information in your "mega-welcome".

BassCliff

Comment

OK for whatever reason I can't create a new topic so I will just post on my existing thread. I am not sure what the PO did to the bike before I purchased it. However it is leaking oil like a sieve. SO i purchased a gasket kit and last night I pulled the head and cylinders.

My question is, while I have the motor apart is there anything that I can do or check on? Parts to replace and what not? Pretty much anything that will save me a head ache later. I will post pictures of the internals later. Also is there any cleaner I can use case any dirt or crude fell into the crank case?

I also own a Honda CB750C and a VERY common upgrade for that bike is a cam swap with the CB900C. Its a direct bolt on upgrade. Is there any common swap for the GS550 like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X