Non motor oil Fluids change intervals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non motor oil Fluids change intervals

Since we have recently had a discussion of motor oil change interval, it made me consider when others think is the best time to change other fluids in our bikes. It has always been my practice to replace all fluids in a motorcycle shortly after purchasing as precautionary, yet now that I have owned these bikes for some time, maybe I need to consider replacing some of the fluids.

Brake fluid I typically would replace as it darkens or whenever work is done.

Fork oil? It has been at least 3 years since I installed Progressive springs, I would like to experiment with viscosity. Does anyone else change it?

Rear shaft oil (final gear bevel oil), replaced when purchased with synthetic, how long is it good for?

Even though it doesn't apply to the 650s, how often do you replace the secondary gear oil for the larger shaft drives?

Originally posted by waterman View Post
    Since we have recently had a discussion of motor oil change interval, it made me consider when others think is the best time to change other fluids in our bikes. It has always been my practice to replace all fluids in a motorcycle shortly after purchasing as precautionary, yet now that I have owned these bikes for some time, maybe I need to consider replacing some of the fluids.

Brake fluid I typically would replace as it darkens or whenever work is done.

Fork oil? It has been at least 3 years since I installed Progressive springs, I would like to experiment with viscosity. Does anyone else change it?

Rear shaft oil (final gear bevel oil), replaced when purchased with synthetic, how long is it good for?

Even though it doesn't apply to the 650s, how often do you replace the secondary gear oil for the larger shaft drives?
    You should probably change your fork oil pretty soon. I do it every other year, some may do it more often.

As far as the pumpkin oil on the shafties, and even secondary gears, i think IIRC the manual says every 3k...but *I* never changed it that often. I changed the pumpkin oil at every rear tire change, secondary drive i checked, and topped off, or if it looked bad, i changed it. I would suggest ALSO, every time you change your tire, at least checking that the hub splines, and drive splines are lubed with pleanty of molly paste.. (get the 60% stuff...goes MUCH farther, and works better IMO)

Comment

Hi,

My manual says to replace the hypoid gear oil for the secondary gears and final drive every 7500 miles. Rubber brake lines and fluid should be replaced every 2 years. I think it's the same for fork oil.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Brake fluid color is a good indicator, but two years, max, on change interval.

Fork oil, probably two years, as well.
        Viscosity is a matter of comfort, as well as control. A lighter weight oil will allow the forks to actually move and absorb small bumps. A heavier oil will not prevent fork dive, it only slows it down.

Final drive, I don't remember what the manual says, but I do it every tire change. So far tire changes have varied between 6,000 and 14,000 miles, depending on whose bike and what kind of tires.

Secondary drive on all but the 650, right along with the final drive.

As TCK mentioned, check your splines and apply a LIGHT coating of Moly60 paste every time you change the rear tire.

While you are changing all your fluids don't forget to consider what season it is when you change the air in your tires.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Brake fluid color is a good indicator, but two years, max, on change interval.

Fork oil, probably two years, as well.
          Viscosity is a matter of comfort, as well as control. A lighter weight oil will allow the forks to actually move and absorb small bumps. A heavier oil will not prevent fork dive, it only slows it down.

Final drive, I don't remember what the manual says, but I do it every tire change. So far tire changes have varied between 6,000 and 14,000 miles, depending on whose bike and what kind of tires.

Secondary drive on all but the 650, right along with the final drive.

As TCK mentioned, check your splines and apply a LIGHT coating of Moly60 paste every time you change the rear tire.

While you are changing all your fluids don't forget to consider what season it is when you change the air in your tires.

Oh you didnt mention anything about the Blinker Fluid changes Steve?? Cant have everyone running around on old blinker fluid..

Comment

While talking about perishables and whatnots, how often do you change sparkplugs? My manuals states every couple years but I am sure mine are older than that.

Thanks for the reminder about the blinker fluid, is it like the 710 fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Oh you didnt mention anything about the Blinker Fluid changes Steve?? Cant have everyone running around on old blinker fluid..
              Same with muffler bearings...those exhausts will make a huge racket when your muffler bearing hasn't been recently lubed.

Comment

Working...
              X