No announcement yet.

Trick to get Bike on Center Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 5ft 7, 140 lbs soaking wet and have found the easiest way is to push the the front tire a few inches up one of my car ramps, push down the center stand with my right foot and pull straight back on the handle bars. Pops right up. Then slowly pull the ramp forward so the tire spins with it and remove the ramp. This method works great when you need to remove the back tire. Have a short piece of 2x6 or 8 near the stand, push the bike up the ramp high enough so you bring the stand down on the wood and pull the bars back. The extra 2 inches you gain in the rear after you remove the ramp really makes it alot easier for the rear tire to clear the fender when removed. You may want to block in front of the front tire to make sure it doesnt roll forward and come off the stand. I've used this method on alot of bikes including my 1200 venture.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM. Reason: misspelled

Comment

I used to be able to get my '95 Kaw GPZ1100 on the centerstand barefooted. No way with the GS.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

If you can't get your own bike on it's centerstand maybe you should consider a smaller bike. Sorry to sound rude but this isn't rocket science. Sorry, just my opinion.

Comment

I have had as many as five GSs at one time, all with centerstands. Each one was different in how much was required to get the bike up. That is with exactly the same person (me) using the exact same technique each time. My heaviest bike, the GK, is probably the easiest. One of my 850s was almost impossible (but not the other two).

Line up a half dozen bikes. Give me a tape measure and somebody to hold the bike vertical while I measure. I will tell you which bikes will be the easiest and which the most difficult to get on the centerstand regardless of who is doing the hoisting.

Compare the distance from the centerstand pivot to the ground to the length of the centerstand. If you want to make the lift easier either increase the distance from the centerstand pivot to the ground (very easy to do) or decrease the length of the centerstand (very hard to do).

Anyone who thinks that it is all in knowing how is mistaken. Only some of it is in knowing how. The basic physics has to be within tolerance.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

The best trick is to push the rear tire up onto a "2-by", and from there it should be do-able using the proper technique given in the previous posts.

I had a 1980 GS1000G that was nearly impossible. It had air shocks and when they were set so it was rideable it was nearly impossible to "get it up."

Shocks all the way aired up - no problem. Problem was I didn't carry an air compressor with me.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

On the KZ1300 at least the stand had to be tall so that the rear wheel could drop far enough to slide the axle out under the exhaust pipes. That may be a common reason for "too tall" hard to use center stands.

Comment

Originally posted by jonn1963 View Post
                I'm 5ft 7, 140 lbs soaking wet and have found the easiest way is to push the the front tire a few inches up one of my car ramps, push down the center stand with my right foot and pull straight back on the handle bars. Pops right up. Then slowly pull the ramp forward so the tire spins with it and remove the ramp. This method works great when you need to remove the back tire. Have a short piece of 2x6 or 8 near the stand, push the bike up the ramp high enough so you bring the stand down on the wood and pull the bars back. The extra 2 inches you gain in the rear after you remove the ramp really makes it alot easier for the rear tire to clear the fender when removed. You may want to block in front of the front tire to make sure it doesnt roll forward and come off the stand. I've used this method on alot of bikes including my 1200 venture.
                Used this technique last night successfully, but without the ramp. (of course, I'm six feet, 250) Normal technique didn't work because the PO took the grab rail (and apparently lifting rail) off the bike.
                Idiot.

Comment

I can pop my 1100G up on it's centre stand without needing a grab rail at the rear. Just a gentle pull back of the bar as I get all of my 285lbs on the foot on the center stand. They did a pretty good job of getting the angle of the foot lever right for maximum leverage on the stand.

Comment

It's all a matter of leverage they make that foot piece for a reason push down with all your weight on it a little pull on the grab rail left hand on the bars away you go seen 100lb woman put one up...if you try and lift it you'll hurt yourself....an additional thought someone posted about using a ramp it might help with a small slope so a little movement back down the slope as the centerstand is pushed down it's easier then it sounds.....
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM. Reason: more stuff

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                      I have had as many as five GSs at one time, all with centerstands. Each one was different in how much was required to get the bike up. That is with exactly the same person (me) using the exact same technique each time. My heaviest bike, the GK, is probably the easiest. One of my 850s was almost impossible (but not the other two).

Line up a half dozen bikes. Give me a tape measure and somebody to hold the bike vertical while I measure. I will tell you which bikes will be the easiest and which the most difficult to get on the centerstand regardless of who is doing the hoisting.

Compare the distance from the centerstand pivot to the ground to the length of the centerstand. If you want to make the lift easier either increase the distance from the centerstand pivot to the ground (very easy to do) or decrease the length of the centerstand (very hard to do).

Anyone who thinks that it is all in knowing how is mistaken. Only some of it is in knowing how. The basic physics has to be within tolerance.
                      I just took the Holeshot lowering links out of the wife's 600 Bandit and reinstalled them to lift the rear end about an inch. It makes all the difference in the world as to how the bike goes on the centerstand. once lowered, it was a hard lift that was simply impossible for the wife (one of the reasons to find her a different bike). At 6'5" and 300#, I don't usually have to think twice about putting a bike on the centerstand but that Bandit, when lowered, is a lift-on and not a rock-on to its stand.

Did someone really say that they can get their bike on the centerstand while sitting on it?
                      I'd like to see that...

Comment

I could put my BMW on the center stand while sitting on it and holding both hands over my head.

Buddy
                        09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                        83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                        81 GS650G for the wife.
                        82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                        I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                        If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                        Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                          I just took the Holeshot lowering links out of the wife's 600 Bandit and reinstalled them to lift the rear end about an inch. It makes all the difference in the world as to how the bike goes on the centerstand. once lowered, it was a hard lift that was simply impossible for the wife (one of the reasons to find her a different bike). At 6'5" and 300#, I don't usually have to think twice about putting a bike on the centerstand but that Bandit, when lowered, is a lift-on and not a rock-on to its stand.

Did someone really say that they can get their bike on the centerstand while sitting on it?
                          I'd like to see that...
                          I used to do it on my first two GS's by sitting on it, until I got smart and learned the correct way. Yeah, it was nearly impossible, but I could do it.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                            I could put my BMW on the center stand while sitting on it and holding both hands over my head.

Buddy
                            BMWs are really easy, it's got curved feet so the bike just rolls back onto the stand, gradually getting higher until it's up.
                            Really easy even when it's fully loaded for the road, like everything else on that bike.
                            It's also under the bikes balance point so if you put the back tire on the ground it stays that way.
                            Or the front tire.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                              I can pop my 1100G up on it's centre stand without needing a grab rail at the rear. Just a gentle pull back of the bar as I get all of my 285lbs on the foot on the center stand. They did a pretty good job of getting the angle of the foot lever right for maximum leverage on the stand.
                              Istood directly on the centerstand pad all my weight on one foot and bounced. No joy. grabbed the bars and PULLED while standig on the pad and it barely went up.
                              My last bike was about 130 lbs lighter, but I could pop it onto the center satand one handed (and, of course, one footed) Been a while, though, might have the agle wrong (though I don't see how)
                              Maybe it's the curse of the L
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2010, 01:57 AM. Reason: silliness

Comment

You've got to be kidding me, my 5'4" 115lb wife can put my 1100E on its center stand and it weighs what ~550lbs? Admittedly, I don't know if she could do it with the clubman bars that I have on it now, but with the stock bars and the superbike bars she could.
                                All you have to do is step on the arm of the center stand let it stabilize itself, put all your weight onto the center stand arm and gently lift the grip area with your right hand while at the same time stabilizing the handlebars with your left hand (bars stay centered), it's that easy.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                                X