No announcement yet.

seafoam - does it do what it claims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, on my 78 GS 750E, where do I put it in to get to the engine without taking the tank off and spark plugs? I already have some in the tank, fyi. Any hoses or anything?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
      BOT, just where is the best (cheapest) place to get this Sea Foam?

FWIW, I heard somewhere the other day that Checker/O'Reilly is having a Buy 2 Get One Free "sale" on it. Haven't checked it out myself to verify yet.

Comment

Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
        i love seafoam. i saw some posts and just wanted to add these links. i have done this and works great. on a bike i have just poured in the gas tank. it works great for storing winter also. so the fuel doesn't get gummy.
        here's some youtube stuff.
        instructions for using seafoam though the brake booster line

A quick guide on how to seafoam a V6 MustangEDIT:After a couple years I'm still getting suggestions about how this could have been made better, but mostly ju...

How to add Deep Creep (made by the makers of SeaFoam) directly to your intake manifold, and do a much better (and easier) job of cleaning out your engine tha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caAxC...eature=related
        Whoa, just watch those and some more on youtube and cannot believe how many people on there are filming their tailpipes! Too funny

Comment

Not a bike but...

Had a lawn mower that had sat 3 or so years. long enough that all the gas - evaporated!!?!. third of a can, and one can of gas. Works better than trying to work on a non-serviceable carb!

Comment

Greetings,
            If you add sea foam to you oil as suggested will it cause leaks? I was new and was talked into synthetic oil now I have a base gasket leak. I just do not want any more leaks what do you all think.
            Thanks
            Pat

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult View Post
              FWIW, I heard somewhere the other day that Checker/O'Reilly is having a Buy 2 Get One Free "sale" on it. Haven't checked it out myself to verify yet.
              Nice tip, sure enough on page three of their online flyer buy 2 get one, limit 8 free!
              Unfortunately, the drive out to their nearest store (to me) in Ohio would negate the savings
              At least now I know what to look for and a price reference

Originally posted by Gravity Tester View Post
              Greetings,
              If you add sea foam to you oil as suggested will it cause leaks? I was new and was talked into synthetic oil now I have a base gasket leak. I just do not want any more leaks what do you all think.......
              I was never a believer of "don't use Synthetic, you'll get leaks" theory. I use it in all my cars and bikes, no more or less leaks than prior. I'm new to Seafoam but I'd think if you keep the concentration in check, you should be fine? Anyone else?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2010, 08:00 AM.

Comment

In the crankcase, you are only using it shortly before an oil change (I wouldn't use more than a couple tablespoons )....maybe putt around for a few easy miles and immediately drain the oil & change filter.
                Both synthetic oil, and Seafoam (which is essentially acting as a solvent here) won't cause leaks, but won't do you any favors if you already have issues with compromised seals that are plugged up by gunk.
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Seafoam is sold at every automotive chain, marine shop and most small engine places. I wasn't much of a believer in 'snake oils' but after enough customers came in to my automotive parts store swearing by it I tried it. Love the stuff, use it in my bike, cars and mower.
                  -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                  DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                  -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

I just did a carb rebuild on an 82 GS650GL barn find. It ran OK, but I put Seafoam in it and it ran like it's ass was on fire! I use it in my small engines, and I swear by it.

Comment

Seafoam works wonders, but not miracles. I like it and use quite a bit.
                      $.02

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
                        Nice tip, sure enough on page three of their online flyer buy 2 get one, limit 8 free!
                        Must be a regional thing - I only see the Buy 2 get one free of the Lucas Injector Cleaner on the chemicals page... Page 3 is all waxes, care cleaning and wiper/washer stuff :-(
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                          Must be a regional thing - I only see the Buy 2 get one free of the Lucas Injector Cleaner on the chemicals page... Page 3 is all waxes, care cleaning and wiper/washer stuff :-(
                          Also he posted that five years ago.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Doh! I saw the last post was yesterday and didn't even look at the post dates after that...
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------
                            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I tried some Seafoam in the sailboat engine last week.
                              It is an old Atomic 4 from the 1960's.
                              It was burning a bit of oil when I go full reverse, stops my from hitting the harbour wall.
                              Put 2 oz. in the crankcase and 2 oz. in about 2 gallons of fuel, Ultra 94 from Sunoco.

I noticed an improvement.

Tried it in the bike this week.
                              Seems to be a happier bike after about 100KM.

Will change the oil soon.

Shaun
                              SailEXIT

1983 GS850G
                              1970 Hughes 29

Comment

Great Stuff! Use it all the time and in everything that runs on gasoline. I have used it in the crankcase after placing a call to the manufacturer because one of their reps wondered about its affect on the bonding agents on the friction material on the clutch plates..(something I never would have thought of). It is fine they determined, and i can attest that I have found no problems on several bikes. It will clean the internals very well. I also suck some up into the vacuum system and let it sit. Cleans that part very well too.

My .02
                                GS Score Card
                                4-400 Series GS's
                                3-500 Series
                                1-600 Series
                                1-700 Series
                                4-800 Series
                                1-1000 Series
                                2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...