No announcement yet.

seafoam - does it do what it claims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guessed partially right. I see the MSDS shows up to 35% naphtha along with 50% pale oil an IPA. I never heard of these but I will google them. I put some in my tank tonight and was wondering if it would not hurt to run some down the vacuum port used by the petcock since this is the cylinder that really could use the stuff. I am thinking of a hose attached to the vacuum port and using a large syringe of seafoam and slowly injecting it into the hose until the motor stalls out and letting it sit for 10 minutes before starting the motor again as the directions on the website state. I am wondering if this would help clean my exhaust valve a bit. The seafoam website only talks about cleaning the intake valve and piston. These posts are pretty funny. Isnt it ironic that brandy, whiskey, scotch and gin can help a man that is feeling a bit down, but we can't use it to help cure what is ailing our poor old gs's. Castor oil would work on our gs's but you'll never see me indulge. So it's alcohol for me and naphtha and pale oil for my ailing gs.
    Thanks for all the posts.

Comment

Sea Foam ?

I don't know about Sea Foam. But if BassCliff came in a can, I would buy a case. I do have a can of Sea Foam. I used it to clean some parts it worked. Then I read you could run it in the engine. I never did. BassCliff has helped me a lot. Good spelling, gramer. polite. The total package. I mean that in a manly way!
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
      Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Hi,

IPA = isopropyl alcohol.
        Pale oil = a petroleum lubricating or process oil, refined until it is a light straw color.
        Naptha = a dark oil consisting of mainly hydrocarbons.

I use a dose of it in my tank a few times a year. I recently put my bike back together after my crash last year and I put about a half can in my first tank just to help clean out any gunk that I might have missed when I cleaned my carbs. I think it helps but it can only do so much. It can also be used as a fuel stabilizer for those of you who don't ride during the winter. Some have even used a few ounces in their engine oil to clean the sludge out of their crankcase. Don't run with this diluted oil for more than 50 miles or so before you change it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by gswisconsin View Post
          I guessed partially right. I see the MSDS shows up to 35% naphtha along with 50% pale oil an IPA.

I am wondering if this would help clean my exhaust valve a bit. The seafoam website only talks about cleaning the intake valve and piston. These posts are pretty funny. Isnt it ironic that brandy, whiskey, scotch and gin can help a man that is feeling a bit down, but we can't use it to help cure what is ailing our poor old gs's. Castor oil would work on our gs's but you'll never see me indulge. So it's alcohol for me and naphtha and pale oil for my ailing gs.
          Thanks for all the posts.
          If IPA turns out to be India Pale Ale (beer), it might be just the thing, for whatever ails both you & the GS.
          The intake valve benefits because the Seafoam, mixed with the incoming charge comes in contact with it as it enters the cylinder....after combustion, it doesn't benefit the exhaust valve, since it exits as exhaust gases, without any Seafoam goodness left.

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
          I don't know about Sea Foam. But if BassCliff came in a can, I would buy a case. The total package. I mean that in a manly way!
          I have it on good authority that Mr. Basscliff is as straight as they come, so to speak.

Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Seafoam is 50% naphtha -( lantern fuel, lighter fluid), 30% pale oil (light machine oil or sewing machine oil) and 20% IPA ( Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol without the water added). I guess the word seafoam is bewildering for me. I just needed to understand what I am working with. Now that I know what it is will I make my own. Probably not. But you have to admit if seafoam is selling for $7/pint or $56/gal. it is not cheap. I have a gallon of marvel mystery oil that I like to use in my lawn mowers, tractors and rototiller and I think it does help to lubricate the top ends and I actually think it helps to prevent valve burning if you have an engine that is prone to running hot. I did not pay $56 for it so I tend to use a lot of it. Marvel Mystery Oil is another thread and another need to understand product, I guess. Thanks again for all the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by suzu650 View Post
              I just feel there is no need. replying with one sentence, yet having to put "hi," and "thank you for your indulgance, basscliff" just seems rediculous in nearly every post. I know its BassCliff making a comment because it says that it is him at the top of his post. just extremely repetitive.
              I am from Iowa also and I kind of enjoy it. Makes me feel all kind of down home and such! Sort of like the Waltons. Courtesy is what is lacking in the world and anyone who is exhibiting it should be commended IMHO
              I always thought that was what Iowans were known for

my 2 cents

Comment

These guys picking on you Cliff ?? Just give me the word and I'll have "my guys" come over there and take care of them for ya.....

Just kidding. Complete sentences with proper grammar and kindness is a beautiful thing !! I don't know what most of those abbreviations mean anyway.

Seafoam......after a proper carb cleaning, I use it to maintain the cleanliness. Just a splash in the gas tank every 5-8 tankfulls. It's worked great so far.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Basscliff has saved me hundreds of dollars over the past couple of years with the information on his site. He could sign off each posting in Swahili and I wouldn't mind...

And I didn't know about Seafoam. I'm gonna have to read the other postings on it and look into trying it.

Comment

I concur that Seafoam mixed with proper grammer and politeness will work wonders.

I have in the past, drawn half of a can of Seafoam into a car engine through the brake booster vacuum line, and poured the rest of the can into the gas tank to give the engine a nice cleaning without the bothersome disassembly part.

The one thing about seafoam is that it must sit over a span of time to break down carbon and other deposits. I find the 10 minutes that the website recommends to be a little optimistic. I would usually let it sit for an hour or so, even overnight if possible, before running the engine again.

Upon starting the engine, there will be a rather spectacular cloud of white smoke from the exhaust which will persist until the engine is Seafoam-free. The cloud is just the broken down deposits mixed with the remnants of the seafoam. Quite impressive, just ask my local fire department.

On the side-topic of BassCliff-in-a-Can, I think it lists the ingredients as:
                    30% Courtesy
                    20% Encouragement for Others
                    20% Genuine Desire to Help Others
                    10% Retained Knowledge from English and Grammar Classes
                    10% Pics
                    with the final 10% per volume containing a mixture of common sense, due dilligence, high bandwidth web-hosting, and spices

Sorry about the poor quality of the product pic, it's the best I could "find" .

Cliff, you know you are a highly valued commodity here on the GSR, and we all thank you for your input, and participation in this crazy thing called life.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

I was raised in an era where proper spelling, proper grammar, formality, and politeness were looked upon as desirable. These habits let people know that you take communication seriously and wish to impart your ideas clearly, without offense. I guess you could say that this is my own little rebellion against the youth culture.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Atta Boy Cliff! Bellisimo ces't tre bien all to uncommon

Comment

Hey will this stuff work on my head gasket? Can I just mix some of this with my oil, let it sit overnight, wake up the next morning and all my oil leak problems be gone?

Comment

Basscliff, why do you put:

BassCliff

at the end of every one of your comments? Not trying to hate, but it just gets annoying. Along with you saying "hi," at the beginning of nearly all your posts.
                          Ha, sorry. Wasnt trying to hate on him, have just been a little bothered by it. He has came to the rescue in nearly every help thread I have started, so I am by no means try to hate. I am grateful for members like him!
                          ....And how better to show your appreciation than by publicly busting his chops.
                          A Private Message would have been a more appropriate way to address your annoyance.
                          Don't you think "hate" is a bit strong here? Are you familiar with "dislike" or "I find it odd that..." Hate?

Hi Mr. suzu650,

You are not the first to mention this. I'm sure you won't be the last. We get a new crop every spring. ....
                          New crop every spring, funny. I've been here a few springs and I still feel new.

....If you insist, I'd be happy to explain my behavior. ................All the best to you and yours,

Cliff
                          There he goes again, killing us with his kindness

Originally posted by gswisconsin View Post
                          .... I have a gallon of marvel mystery oil that I like to use in my lawn mowers, tractors and rototiller and I think it does help to lubricate the top ends and....
                          I'm a big fan of Marvel Mys Oil & buy it in the gallon jugs too...a lot cheaper.

BOT, just where is the best (cheapest) place to get this Sea Foam?
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Awwww, guys.

I really do feel loved!

Ahem, now let's get back to the topic at hand.

BassCliff

Comment

I use seafoam for stablizer(did I spell it correct Cliff, lol?
                              If ya try to use it for anything else you're wasting your money.
                              My opinion!
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yep I use it as a fuel stabilizer and also for keeping the carbs running smooth. I've never tried it in the oil but might throw a little in the next time I'm up against an oil change.

Comment

Working...
                                X