seafoam - does it do what it claims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
    ... I've never tried it in the oil but might throw a little in the next time I'm up against an oil change.
    I use it in the oil when I've done the first oil change on a new (to me) bike.
    It's done a great job loosening up the gunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
      If IPA turns out to be India Pale Ale (beer), it might be just the thing, for whatever ails both you & the GS.
      The intake valve benefits because the Seafoam, mixed with the incoming charge comes in contact with it as it enters the cylinder....after combustion, it doesn't benefit the exhaust valve, since it exits as exhaust gases, without any Seafoam goodness left.

I have it on good authority that Mr. Basscliff is as straight as they come, so to speak.

Tony.
      I didn't mean to imply anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ( quote, from Jerry S. )
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
      Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

I drive a volvo (a brick) and I can tell you that the people on the brickboard (volvo forums) SWEAR by the stuff. They claim it does perform miracles.

I used it once for cleaning, and that stuff has seriously low surface tension. It creeps into all kinds of nooks and crannies. It might be great for loosening stuck bolts, now that I think about it.

Anyhow, It's a lot of solvents, and it's flammable. Supposedly works wonders for most and not much for some.

Good luck! It's always better to clean it yourself. Chemicals never match physical cleaning.

William

Comment

I can say this last summer my bike was missing and spitting and sputtering added a quarter can of Seafoam to a tank and ran it for about half that tank and presto! Problem solved! I probably just burned the bad gas up but it worked and it works wonders for boats.

Comment

Originally posted by butticci View Post
            it worked and it works wonders for boats.
            I'll second that. I've used it as a last resort to having to rebuild carbs on several boat motors that would've been a bear to remove. I filled the float bowls with straight Seafoam and let it set overnight. The comments about excessive smoke upon startup is right on. Maybe I was just lucky each time. Regardless though, I was spared from having to remove and tear down the carbs. Just my .02 based upon experience.
            Willie
            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I just used it for the first time the other day, and I'm sold... Rebuilt the carbs and they were spotless, adjusted the valves, blah blah blah.... running great, but I'm a tuning perfectionist. no matter how many times I tweaked the carbs they were still not right in my mind. dumped a good amount of seafoam into each spark plug hole, let it sit, fired it up and voila! Ran like a horse's rear, smoked like crazy, stuttered, sputtered, and smoked like hell... but when the smoke cleared, all my "tuning issues" had disappeared. I coulda played with fuel and air screws til the cows came home and it wouldn't have helped. Short of tearing the head off and physically cleaning carbon off the pistons and valves, this stuff is the best you're gonna do. I don't care if it is just naptha in an oil and alcohol base, Seafaom is a miracle in a can!

Comment

Hi Mr. Cliff, You really put in half a can in a tank? I cleaned my carbs last summer, but have been sitting since. Would you dip again or try to do this half can? I'm almost back on the road after a long budgetless wait. Thank you for your indulgence, Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by gser425 View Post
                  Hi Mr. Cliff, You really put in half a can in a tank? I cleaned my carbs last summer, but have been sitting since. Would you dip again or try to do this half can? I'm almost back on the road after a long budgetless wait. Thank you for your indulgence, Stuart
                  Hi,

Yes, I've used a half can once in a while. But usually not that much though. It's probably overkill. If you start with clean carbs and ride all the time your system will stay clean. I just like to be sure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by sam78gs750 View Post
                    I just used it for the first time the other day, and I'm sold... Rebuilt the carbs and they were spotless, adjusted the valves, blah blah blah.... running great, but I'm a tuning perfectionist. no matter how many times I tweaked the carbs they were still not right in my mind. dumped a good amount of seafoam into each spark plug hole, let it sit, fired it up and voila! Ran like a horse's rear, smoked like crazy, stuttered, sputtered, and smoked like hell... but when the smoke cleared, all my "tuning issues" had disappeared. I coulda played with fuel and air screws til the cows came home and it wouldn't have helped. Short of tearing the head off and physically cleaning carbon off the pistons and valves, this stuff is the best you're gonna do. I don't care if it is just naptha in an oil and alcohol base, Seafaom is a miracle in a can!

I had the same thing, just one carb was not right. Dude said dump about a half can through and see what happens. I did, but nothing. Then she sat over night and the next day after about a mile she was running right again. Stuff is expensive, but worth it for such results!
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 01:28 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by me
                      BOT, just where is the best (cheapest) place to get this Sea Foam?
                      .................................................. .anyone?
                      Originally posted by gser425 View Post
                      Hi Mr. Cliff,.......Thank you for your indulgence,
                      Way to shmooooze there Stew

Comment

I love the stuff, and have been using it for years. It was originally marketed for marine applications (hence the name), but it works in any engine.

It's a little more expensive here, about $9 a pint.

I use a half can to a tank now and then to keep things clean. The proper way to do it is...

1. Pour it in the gas, and let the engine run enough to get it in the carb bowls.

2. Let it sit overnight, so it can do it's thing.

3. Run it like you stole it until most of the mixed fuel has run through, then add fresh gas.

4. Change spark plugs, as Seafoam tends to foul them out.

Comment

i love seafoam. i saw some posts and just wanted to add these links. i have done this and works great. on a bike i have just poured in the gas tank. it works great for storing winter also. so the fuel doesn't get gummy.
                          here's some youtube stuff.
                          instructions for using seafoam though the brake booster line

A quick guide on how to seafoam a V6 MustangEDIT:After a couple years I'm still getting suggestions about how this could have been made better, but mostly ju...

How to add Deep Creep (made by the makers of SeaFoam) directly to your intake manifold, and do a much better (and easier) job of cleaning out your engine tha...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

It works perfectly as a starting fluid on a two stroke chainsaw-just like the website says. Will let you know a mechanically sound motor that just isn't getting fuel.

Also, works perfectly when an engine is just beyond limits when doing smog on a motor. Gently pour a third of a can through the throttle body and will clean enough carbon off the pistons to pass.

Comment

Seen it

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
                              .................................................. .anyone?

Way to shmooooze there Stew
                              Seen it in NAPA stores...

Comment

Originally posted by Ponderosa View Post
                                Seen it in NAPA stores...
                                Thank you Ponderosa. Another point for NAPA

Comment

Working...
                                X