82 GS650GLZ issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650GLZ issues

I am new here and have been reading the GS forums for about 2.5 weeks. And hammering Bike cliffs servers! trying to get my brothers bike up and going...
    Things we have done:
    We rebuilt the carbs,
    changed the starter,
    changed the plugs,
    oil,
    built our own carb manometer and "synced" the carbs.
    but.. for some reason we are having either coil problems, or we are running too lean.

The issue: when I give it gas when it is warm I can rev it to oblivion. but when I have it under load " while on the bike and driving" I cant get it passed 3000-4000 RPMs we are about to go out and do some more work on it. but I thought I would try and get some input and see where everyone else is coming from. any input helps.
    Bought the bike for $200 put around $120 into is to far..

Nate
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM. Reason: Upload Picture.

Great bike, GREAT PRICE. Yes does sound like it is lean on the transition from pilots to mains. Have you changed out the O-rings between the head and the intake rubbers? Do you have the air box in and a filter mounted and sealed up tight?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Great bike, GREAT PRICE. Yes does sound like it is lean on the transition from pilots to mains. Have you changed out the O-rings between the head and the intake rubbers? Do you have the air box in and a filter mounted and sealed up tight?
      I have not changed the O-rings between the carbs and the engine. It does have the airbox but does not have a filter. we are going to make a makeshift filter. and make sure its sealed tight. I didn't think that would make that big of a difference. My other thought was the gas was on reserve when we were running it because we didn't have much fuel in it.

We got a full tank.
      I was going to spray some ether around the front of the carbs to see if they were leaking. they don't look bad but then again.. we all know they could be bad. were going to see if it is lean by getting it to 3000 under load then shutting it off. and checking the plugs. then adjust acordingly. I will be in and out checking this all day. hopefully we can get it going so we can ride!

nate

Comment

Originally posted by natesemipro View Post
        I have not changed the O-rings between the carbs and the engine. It does have the airbox but does not have a filter. we are going to make a makeshift filter. and make sure its sealed tight. I didn't think that would make that big of a difference.
        It will. Even going with a K&N paper filter to replace the stock filter has a leaning effect on the mixture. The carbs are designed around having that filter restriction in place and air-tight elsewhere to help pull the fuel in. Check all the boots (airbox side, too), replace as necessary, replace the o-rings, and get a real stock air filter.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
          It will. Even going with a K&N paper filter to replace the stock filter has a leaning effect on the mixture. The carbs are designed around having that filter restriction in place and air-tight elsewhere to help pull the fuel in. Check all the boots (airbox side, too), replace as necessary, replace the o-rings, and get a real stock air filter.
          I just placed some filter foam material and holy smokes!! that made a NIGHT AND DAY! difference. The bike was running amazing!

REPLACING the filter with an original.

Next issue is the clutch is slipping. The clutch is tough to pull in... but it shifts great! But the clutch is slipping while I get on the gas. I put rotella 20-50 in my gs650 and it fixed this issue. should I try this on this bike?

Nate

Comment

I just placed some filter foam material and holy smokes!! that made a NIGHT AND DAY! difference. The bike was running amazing!

REPLACING the filter with an original.

Next issue is the clutch is slipping. The clutch is tough to pull in... but it shifts great! But the clutch is slipping while I get on the gas. I put rotella 20-50 in my gs650 and it fixed this issue. should I try this on this bike?

Nate
            Remove and lube the old cable OR buy a new one. When they get old and tight, they will not release all the way and add to the slip. Also, once the cable is moving freely, adjust for about 1-2mm free play at the handle.

Comment

Probably either bad cable + worn springs or good cable, stiff springs, and worn discs: though I'd bet the former. The clutch springs get tired. Make sure the oil is clean and pure - no gas. New OEM springs are cheap ($12 maybe), as are new OEM clutch cables ($20 or so). If you replace the springs you can measure the clutch discs while you're at it. Rotella is pretty popular around here, I use the 15W-40 Rotella T myself in gallon jugs from Wal-Mart. Make sure the clutch rod is straight and lube up that actuator thingy too.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. natesemipro,

Even though you've been "hammering my servers" , I still want to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all of the input! lubed the cable and adjusted the clutch! everything seems to be working great! so now that I added the air filter am I going to have to re-sync the carbs? it smells like its running rich. And I cant get it over 85 mph. should this bike get over 85 mph?

Comment

Working...
                  X