Turn Signal Doesn't Blink!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JHawkins View Post
    I recently put in aftermarket signals on the rear and had to switch to an electronic flasher. I did however have to install a ground wire to the 3-pin electronic flasher. It works great now, but it took a lot of head scratching to sort it out.
    I'll try this tonight thanks! Which pin/line did you attach the ground to? I hate to be a pest but would you have any pics?

Comment

You have to be careful when going out and blindly buying a 3-pin flasher unit for your bike. The stock unit has one pin that brings in power, another pin that sends the intermittent power to the selector switch on the left handgrip and the third wire, which comes from the control unit and tells the flasher unit when to work.
      NONE OF THE UNITS YOU BUY AT AUTO ZONE HAVE THIS CONFIGURATION.
      Most of them use one of those three pins as a ground, and there is no consistency which one they use.

Your best bet, if you don't care about losing your self-cancelling feature, is to get a two-pin flasher that will handle the load. If you are still using standard lights, a 552 flasher should work fine. If you have switched to LEDs, you will need an electronic flasher, but most of them have three pins.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 100070192 View Post
        I'll try this tonight thanks! Which pin/line did you attach the ground to? I hate to be a pest but would you have any pics?
        Hi,

See the write-up on my website. I talk about ground pins and wire colors and everything.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Awesome!!!

Thanks again to everyone for your help. BassCliff's site was so incredibly helpful. The turn signals work perfectly now.

Ya know, I think this internet thing might really catch on one day!

Comment

I started reading the stator pages and then looked at the factory service manual and no where does it show the location of the stator on an 85 GS450. I was curious how hard of a job it would be to replace and I just cannot find it in the book. Do all bikes have a stator and where are they located on a 85 GS450?

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Clean every electrical connection and ground on your wiring harness, including the fues box, the turn signal stalks, the ignition switch connections, all the molex and bullet connetors, etc. Then go through the Stator Papers and find out why your charging system is not putting out enough voltage at idle.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by jkreylin View Post
              I started reading the stator pages and then looked at the factory service manual and no where does it show the location of the stator on an 85 GS450. I was curious how hard of a job it would be to replace and I just cannot find it in the book. Do all bikes have a stator and where are they located on a 85 GS450?
              Right next to your left foot when riding! You have to remove the cover, the stator is bolted to the inside of the cover. I suggest first measuring your voltage across the battery and as per the stator papers test everything.

Comment

Working...
              X