rebuilding gs850 carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding gs850 carburetors

I'm rebuilding a 1979 gs850 carburetor and I would like to know how to find out what are the stock jet setings and how many turns do I turn the fuel mixutre screws. If I rember correctly there was some thread that listed all of the different suzuki carburetor specifications. I'm just not sure if I have the right jets and how many turns do I need on the mixture screws and air screws. Any help would be great. Thanks

Basscliff

Cliff has everything you'll ever need to know. The VM on our bikes are sort of simple with the instructions. I suggest new O-rings before worry about over boring the jets etc.
    If you still have questions, just ask. You may get a few smart-alec answers, but you'll get good ones too.
    Bill

Comment

5/8 for the fuel, 1 1/4 for the air. These will get you started. Plug chops for the fuel screws afterwards and fastest idle method for the air screws afterwards once you see how she's runnin'.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Look at the link at the top of the page (above your thread) and you will have all the info on jets that you want.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          5/8 for the fuel, 1 1/4 for the air. These will get you started. Plug chops for the fuel screws afterwards and fastest idle method for the air screws afterwards once you see how she's runnin'.
          What do you mean by "Plug chops for the fuel screws afterwards and fastest idle method for the air screws afterwards once you see how she's runnin'". I'm not sure on this. but I will try to follow these insturction. where is the fuel screw located and which is the air screw?

Comment

Hi,

VM Carburetor Rebuild Guide
            (Courtesy of GSR and Paul Musser)

Plug Chops-Highest RPM Methods
            (by Mr. tkent02 and Mr. psyguy)

Carb Specs:Float Height/Jetting/Cleaning

Carb Notes: Synchronizing/Troubleshooting

Mikuni VM/Smooth Bore Manual

Suzuki GS850G Shop Manual (155MB)

It's all there in the link that Mr. officerbill gave you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2010, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Cliff,
              I am sorry I sort of stole your thunder. I am so impressed with your site I pass it around to those who seem to need it. There is so much great info there, all the work of gathering and gleaning has been done, now all that is left is the wrenching.
              Thank you for your site, and I do think you have all the world's knowledge at your fingertips.
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by officerbill View Post
                Cliff,
                I am sorry I sort of stole your thunder. I am so impressed with your site I pass it around to those who seem to need it. There is so much great info there, all the work of gathering and gleaning has been done, now all that is left is the wrenching.
                Hey Bill,

Not to worry. You're not taking anything from me. I'm glad you find the site useful. I just hope more people will actually read it. "Teach a man to fish" kind of thing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by 00. View Post
                  What do you mean by "Plug chops for the fuel screws afterwards and fastest idle method for the air screws afterwards once you see how she's runnin'". I'm not sure on this. but I will try to follow these insturction. where is the fuel screw located and which is the air screw?
                  Check out Cliff's website, all the "detailed" instructions are there or use the search feature on this site. The fuel and air settings will allow you to get the bike started and hopefully idleing enough to fine tune her by adjusting the air screw (the one you can see on the top sides of the carbs) and doing plug chop with the fuel mixture screws (the ones under the carbs that are hard to get to) If you haven't already downloaded a manual from Cliffs site they are awfully handy. Best of luck.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    . I'm glad you find the site useful. I just hope more people will actually read it. "Teach a man to fish" kind of thing.
                    Cliff,
                    Some of us use it more than you could possibly imagine.
                    For me, at least daily, on the days I'm playing with bikes.
                    Sometimes a lot more.
                    Thanks for keeping it going for us.
                    Tom

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X