Are Air boxes interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Air boxes interchangeable?

Hey there, I just got a 1980 gs1000. But the bottom part of the air box is missing. I was wondering if there is a particular size that would fit. I found a few air boxes on ebay, but I don't want to get one that doesn't fit. Any help would be great. Maybe a link to one that would fit?

Thanks

one thing you can try and do is compare part #'s between your gs1000 and the airbox of the bike you're looking at.

bikebandit.com and other websites have parts diagrams that you can use to compare the airboxes from different bikes.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Aaronius,

While you have your bike apart, in addition to new carb intake boots and O-rings you may also want to replace the airbox boots, the tach cable seals, and service the cam chain tensioner and replace those gaskets/seals too.

As for an airbox, the entire assembly is Suzuki part# 13700-45050. If you use the parts cross-reference procedure found on my website you will find that these bikes use the same part number:

1980-1981 GS1000GT
      1980-1981 GS1000GL

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the 850 airbox will fit too, but I'm not absolutely sure. Don't forget that the filter unit itself fits in a "cage", I think the factory calls it the filter "element". The cage with the filter slides into place inside the airbox. See my website for airbox and air intake repair and service guides. As for the air filter itself, the K&N SU-1200 or the Uni NU-2436 will do nicely.

You should also seal the airbox with new weatherstripping. These bikes do not tolerate air leaks well. Put weatherstripping on top of the air filter cage where it meets the top inside of the airbox...

And weatherstrip the airbox covers too...

You'll find a couple of maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" which will lead you down the path to GS nirvana, if you take no shortcuts. If you stray from the path you will be cursed with stuttering performance, hard starts, dead batteries, and be left stranded on the side of the path instead of riding briskly down the path.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey Aaronious, as was mentioned before ,it seems at least highly likely that the air box from an 850 will work. My concurence coming from an article I read in a bikeworld magazine archive on their website ( I believe Nov of 79' ) introducing the arrival of the new 1000g shaft model for the 1980 model year. In the article they explained that certain jetting and the use of an 850 air box de-tuned the engine to ease any extra stress the 1000 would cause the gear box, which is actually used from th 850 model as well, the only difference being that the gears were hardened for the 1000 application ! Being an owner of an 80' 1000G myself, I discovered through reading a few different articles that the sweet scooter we have was designed directly from the 850 platform , with the most signifigant upgrades being the powerplant ,gear hardening and the shaft drive assembly. So to cut an extremely long post short ,if you did a little looking up on the two, you have a much better than fair chance that the 850 and 1000 are the same box. Hope this was helpful and good luck on your quest !!

Comment

If you look closely in this picture, this airbox is Factory stamped GS1000G as well as GS750/GS850 and GS850G:

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            If you look closely in this picture, this airbox is Factory stamped GS1000G as well as GS750/GS850 and GS850G:

Daniel
            They do fit but note that is not the GS750 we all know and love but the GS750G which was made for a very limited market and not the US / UK. It's the same shaft drive as the GS850G, just 750cc. It is not the same as the GS750 chain drive.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X