Smallest 530 front sprocket size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallest 530 front sprocket size?

I have an 83 GS1100E that needs a new chain. The old chain was a DID that only lasted 2500 miles! I weigh 270 and ride pretty hard. Chain was oiled and cleaned befrore every run. 300 miles max! Last weekend I tensioned the chain and by the time we got back from running the Diamond Back I could hear it slap the guard. It has started stretching.

front sprocket is 14 tooth 630 and 45 rear for a 3.21 ratio. I am looking at a 17 front and 50 rear in 530 to try and keep the diameters of the gears as large as I can.

I have heard of 16 or lower on a 530 being too small ion diameter and allowing the chain to hit the swingarm bushing.

How small can I go? I searched and found little to nothing on the diameter issues?

Ken

I am running a 16/49 530 on mine with the aluminum swingarm, seems fine.

Comment

How many links did your chain end up being?

Comment

110 I think. I got the info needed about chain length and sprocket sizes from Z1 ent website. I can run 16, 17 or 18t sprockets to adjust gearing with the same length chain.
        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM.

Comment

16 wont work on the 1100 i dont think. The chain ends up being long enough that the angle at the swingarm pivot will end up contacting. You probably need to go with a 17. BTW, 17/50 is the closest to STOCK ratio you can get in 530. If you want more grunt than that, go up one or two teeth in the rear..

Comment

Before you start throwing money at it, you need to figure out why you got such lousy mileage out of the chain. I find it difficult to believe that proper maintenance was performed, unless you had a very cheap non-oring chain.
            My chain was on my bike when I purchased it, and I have put over 10k on it since I purchased it. It has barely stretched at all, and I suspect it will go for another 20-30k miles. It is not a super chain by any means, just a standard oring chain. And I ride with enthusiasm.
            This thread details how to properly lube your chain:
            Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Failure to follow these procedures will lead to premature chain failure, such as you have reported.

Comment

Kool Aid Kid,

It is a non O ring chain. The chain and sprockets were given to me when I bought the bike by the last owner. he had just not changed them out. It was a DID non O ring chain. I cleaned the chain AND oiled it with repsol chain lube BEFORE EVERY weekend ride. I suspect that it is more crosspin link wear than stretch. I can tell as sson as I take it off.

Why it is wearing out, I am not sure,but I KNOW it is not from lack of maintenance. The lube is just not penetrating and staying in the cross pin/roller area is my guess.

It will be rplaced with an xring chain from X1.

Comment

I'm running 16/46 530 o-ring chain setup on my 1980 1100E, No clearance problems at all. 1166 kit, cams, oversize valves etc. Ride 2 up all the time.
                Only had to adjust once sofar in 6k miles. I use MOTUL chain lube.

Comment

Working...
                X