GS450 1982 Jetting sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 1982 Jetting sizes?

I have a GS450 with mikuni carbs. I have removed the air box and put on pod filters because the bike is hard tailed now. Anybody have any idea what sizes the jets are in those carbs or what sizes i should go up to?
    I only ask cause i dont wanna buy an expensive jet kit when i only need the primaries really.

The stock mains are 115. I'm on the same quest. I've tried 120's and 125's but haven't found the right combo yet.

Comment

thanks for the info. it seems to run fine until about 65% throttle, so im pretty sure i just need the primaries, but ill get bigger pilots if i can too.
      good luck on your journey.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ddrukin,

In addition to the pod filters, have you also modified your exhaust? If so, a general rule is to go up four sizes on the mains and one size on the pilots. You'll have to perform plug chops to really dial it in. They are explained on my website. You'll find other carb tuning links too. Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I just did 127.5's in the main and they seem to work perfect for my top end.
          now for the pilots. yay!

Comment

Hi Druken,

I also have an '82 450 with pods. From what I can tell it's in sore need of a re-jetting. What were your symptoms after adding the pods? Mine starts fine and and idles well at first but hangs around 3500 RPM and won't kick back down to idle once it gets warm ... were you facing the same symptoms?

Glad to hear your having some success ... I'll be getting to my re-jetting as soon as I build up my new ignitor box.

happy riding

Comment

Can't help much with the jetting, but this statement got me wondering ...
              Originally posted by drukin View Post
              ... I have removed the air box and put on pod filters because the bike is hard tailed now. ...
              Why is it that if you hard tail a bike that you have to remove the airbox?

Is it just for looks, or is the frame modified so that the stock airbox no longer fits?

Just wondering.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is no room for the air box after it is hard tailed. I'm in the process right now

Comment

Subscribing to this thread... wanna see how you go with the jet sizes because I hope to go the K&N and custom exhaust route on my '81 450.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by 67camaro View Post
                    There is no room for the air box after it is hard tailed.
                    Thanks.

I have never hard-tailed a bike and hope to never ride one, so I did not know why you had to lose the airbox.
                    It just opens up a can of worms trying to re-jet properly, good luck.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The back half of the frame is completely changed and lowered about 7".
                      dropping is that much leaves room for the battery and thats about it. (between the trail arm and the top of the triangle.)

Anyways, the stock sizes are 17.5 on the pilots and 115 on the mains.
                      I went up to a 30 on the pilots and 127.5 on the mains.
                      The motor runs great now. Just had to shim the needle with a few brass washers to richen up the mid throttle.

Attached a photo if anybody is interested.

Comment

Cool, thanks for sharing the jet details.

Once I get to the point of having carbies in one piece, actually having an exhaust, and having some pods I should be able to at least get a good starting point as it will be the first time I've attempted something like this.

sigpic

Comment

shimming the needles is probably the most important.
                          It controls throttle from about 25% to 75%.
                          You will need some long slender snap ring plyers to remove the stupid cover they put over the needle. (totally dumb)

Kind of a pain but dont give up, or you will have to run some extra air restriction, which will end up throwing off the idle/full throttle mixtures a bit.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

I'm hoping I'll only be about 3 months away from playing with jetting, but we'll see...

sigpic

Comment

hey drukin can i ask where u got your jets?

Comment

Working...
                              X