No announcement yet.

RIP PntrDave (Dave Davis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just met him at this year's BC. Even with just the few encounters I had with him over the weekend, he made enough of an impression that I wish I could go to the funeral. I wish I'd had time to know him better.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
      After reading Dave's obituary I see that his funeral will be held outside of Galesburg, IL this Wednesday at 3pm (presumably with the burial to follow). I am contemplating riding my GS out to the service and burial as a final tribute to our friend, and wondered if anybody else would be interested in doing the same? I think it would please Dave greatly if we are able to pull this off! Please post here if you are within shooting distance and want to make the run (weather permitting, of course - the last thing Dave would want is somebody getting hurt because of inclement weather).
      I already have off Thursday and Friday this week. I'm going to see if I can get a half day. (If I can I'll meet you out there as Galesburg is literally due south of me) I'll let you know tomorrow.

Comment

I had the pleasure of both meeting Dave and riding with him. He was a very caring soul, who could make anyone smile. He always had a story and a smile on his face. I plan on attending the funeral on Wednesday with my girlfriend Steph and our daughter Lili. I plan on riding my motorcycle down from Wisconsin and they will follow me. Dave will be missed tremendously and I am so saddened by this news. RIP Dave, we love you.

Comment

I was lucky enough to have had dinner with Dave Friday night at this years BC rally. One of the many good things I remember about Dave is that when I showed up at my first rally Dave was one of the first people to welcome me to the group and introduce himself. What else can I say, Dave you will be missed.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Wow, that was sudden. I remember Dave posting about some questionable test results he had gotten back and all of us wishing him well with them and the followup.

Lung cancer is one of the most deadly. Five year survival rate for breast cancer is over 90%, For lung cancer it is under 15%.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Wow, that was a shock to hear about Dave. He had been so helpful and friendly around here. Sadly, I never got the chance to see him. Rest in peace Dave and my heartfelt prayers go out to your family.

-- Frank --

Comment

It was Dave that convinced me of ATGATT (All the gear, all the time). After reading about his low speed crash in Florida, I went out and bought some good riding pants. And last year I crashed and walked (limped) away with zero roadrash. I never met him in person, but he had an impact on my life.

Thanks, Dave. Ride on, and rest in peace.
                Last edited by renobruce; 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

They say the good die young. RIP

Comment

Dave, you will be missed. RIP, my friend. I got to know him at Fennimore, and he was a great guy, loved to read sci-fi and other deep thinking books. Also knew his limits, wouldn't ride with the fast pack, took his own pace. Wish I could go to the funeral (and I don't like going to funerals), but I can't make it. Be careful all of you riding there.

Comment

Though I didn't know Dave except on these pages, I know he was a good person and will be missed by all. My thoughts and prayers are with you Dave.
                      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Son of a b*tch. This sucks to read.

Sobering reality how fragile life is; I spent some time with Dave at the Brown County Rally this year. I had dinner with him and Rodney; he told us stories about making beer runs for the USMC. I sure didn't think that would be the last time I'd see him.

Ride on Dave.

~Adam

Comment

Wow, that is really sad news. RIP Dave.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Terrible and young. Met him at a Crud Run a few years ago – nice guy……….and a Marine as well. So long, jarhead.
                            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

UPDATE - Monday June 28: We now have several people planning to attend the funeral, most on their bikes. The weather is supposed to be picture perfect - a fitting send off for Dave! I am also planning (with the family and funeral home's permission) to say a few short words at the service regarding Dave's GSR involvement and the worldwide family of friends he impacted while feeding his love of motorcycles and riding. The funeral home has indicated that there is no problem on their part if one or more of us wants to speak about Dave, so I would encourage anyone else who is so inclined to do the same - I'm sure his family will appreciate knowing just how far Dave's friendship and influence extended in his short life...

The funeral home address is:
                              120 S Public Square
                              Knoxville, IL 61448
                              Phone #: 309-289-4121

Service is at 3pm with burial to follow - I figure Dave can take one last "ride" with our GSR family to the cemetary, where I also understand there will be military rites conducted.

Regards,
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I hate when I come to the site after not being online for a few days and finding news like this. Dave was one of the nicest people to frequent this site and we'll all feel the loss.

Comment

Working...
                                X