Missing brass bead on BS32SS Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing brass bead on BS32SS Carb

I don't know if this mattes or not. The bike seems to run great. It does seem to run a little hot but will double check next time out.

There seems to be a missing brass bead that is supposed to be in one of the ports/holes in the carburetor body. Do any of you think this matters? I have attached a picture.

i can't see the pic here at work, but those little brass beads are used to plug an access hole that was used to connect internal passages...

i would think it's very much needed; otherwise whatever is flowing through that passage way isn't going where it's supposed to.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Crap! Where do I get new ones?

Here is the link again
      Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Does the other carbs have one there?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Actually...it looks like the other ones are not there either. It's been 20 years since I rode the bike. I took it to a person to have the carburetors cleaned and Saturday was my first ride. It seems to be running a little hot. After 5 hours of riding it was smoking a little..I noticed it when I was at an intersection. I guess taking a good look at it it seemed that hole should not be there.

Hmm

Comment

my 1100 carbs on my bike are the same way dont think anything goes there. my other 110 carbs are like that also
            Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Maybe you have an oil leak?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by 081dbx64 View Post
                Actually...it looks like the other ones are not there either. It's been 20 years since I rode the bike. I took it to a person to have the carburetors cleaned and Saturday was my first ride. It seems to be running a little hot. After 5 hours of riding it was smoking a little..I noticed it when I was at an intersection. I guess taking a good look at it it seemed that hole should not be there.

Hmm
                Pull the plugs and see if they are white, it may be a little lean. Or, it could just be 20 years of gunk in and around the engine getting hot.

I'd pull the plugs to make sure. What exactly did the guy do when he rebuild the carbs ?
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Oops! Checked the crank case hose. Apparently that is the source of the smoke. Hooked it up to the intake box. It seems to run a little better...lets see how it works when I first start it. Was having a little problem keeping it idling.

Comment

Not all of the carbs have a brass bead in the same place. For instance, the number two would have a port blocked that the others would not because it needs to create vacuum for the petcock. If the bike is running on all four cylinders And seems to run pretty good even if a little hot I'd suspect that you're not missing anything. Those "beads" are either pressed in or moulded in and I really don't see how they could come out without other damage be
                    ing rather apparent.

Comment

Brass bead or not it looks like its plugged internally still. Adding in that brass bead from then on would just make it look pretty unless thats dirt im seeing built up in there.

I would keep an eye on it and ride if for a while see if if works all the 20 years of non running out.

Comment

Working...
                      X