Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550E - Spark Plug Pic

Hi

I hope you can help I have been having a little problem getting my idle to remain constant. It seems to act differently based on how long I ride it. After a long run it seems to idle high. I'm kind of thinking it just needed to be ran...but now after a entire tank of fuel, I'm thinking it's the mixture screws.

I just had the carburetors cleaned. The very first time. The mixture screws caps were removed so I assume they were taken out and cleaned. The intake boots were replaced I assume new O rings. The boots were new. New intake filter.

I have not checked the valves yet. That's my next project.

I have attached pictures of my spark plugs. What do you all think?

thanks

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Here is the bike

I have the same problem on my 82 450. I believe we need to weather seal out air boxes and check for leaks. I already purchased new intake manifolds and clamped the carbs in tight. The airbox lid is where the weather sealing goes. You also may need a valve adjustment if that doesn't work. Also you say you think the intake O-rings were new, you can get them for pennies at a plumbing store.

Comment

The air box lid seems ok. The foam is still there and not rotted.

Comment

Originally posted by 081dbx64 View Post
        The air box lid seems ok. The foam is still there and not rotted.
        Then maybe you need a carburetor rebuild or sync.. Though more likely a valve adjustment. Your plugs are an excellent color by the way. And if you did that I'd at least check those O-rings.

Comment

Now that I'm a little more savvy after reading this forum maybe I should call the guy I had work on it. He is a bike mechanic at a Honda dealership. He does this on the side there is no Suzuki place within miles. I let him know it sat for 20 years. I never had the valves adjusted since owning the bike. It has 18,000 miles on it. I am sure they need work. I guess I will have to get some feeler gauges and a gasket and check these. I know he did not.

Other than the idling it runs fantastic.

Comment

#1 looks like there is oil on the plug
            2&3 look perfect
            #4 looks a little lean.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is it me or am I just used to looking at rich plugs? They all look lean to me.
              Chef, 2 and 3 look the leanest.
              May be my monitor though..
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Replace the O rings, adjust the valves, seal the airbox, dip the carbs, clean all the tiny passages.
                Learn to do proper plug chops.
                After all that the plug readings will have some meaning, these are near useless.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Fair enough. I ordered feeler gauge and Suzuki valve tool today. Got gaskets from Real Gasket. I'm sure I will need shims when the time comes. Any idea of where to get these?

Comment

Z1, Suzuki, any motorcycle salvage, or try the shim club on this site.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

shim club? How do i get to that?

Comment

do a search (advanced search) for ghostgs1, he is the one that organizes the "Club".

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Or figure out how much you need to take off your current shims and then go to a good machine shop that has a surface grinder.... Only one of my valves was out of the spec and my buddy owns a machine shop and now that shim is a new size and the valve is in spec

Comment

That's a great idea! I have a buddy that can do this I think.

Comment

The Real Gasket is no good on bikes, like the 550, which have the tach gear in the valve cover - the thickness of the Real Gasket keeps the tach gear teeth from properly engaging those on the camshaft.

For the 550 you want your mixture screws out at least 3 turns from lightly seated, and the carbs need to be vacuum synced or the idle may hang. Also, confirm with your mechanic whether or not the intake boot O-rings were changed. Lastly, I suggest you learn to do your own work or you will go broke owning a 30 year old motorcycle.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X