1980 GS550E - Spark Plug Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Lastly, I suggest you learn to do your own work or you will go broke owning a 30 year old motorcycle.
    So true...

I bench sync'd the carbs on my 550 and I have no issue with them (But at some point when I have the cash I will buy a sync tool and do a proper vacuum sync). However I did have the hanging idle issue like you are having before I installed my dynojet kit. The pod filters caused that issue... So maybe you have a lot of intake leaks?

As for your valve shims, if you know someone that has a surface grinder and knows what they are doing, then you can save yourself a lot of $$.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
      As for your valve shims, if you know someone that has a surface grinder and knows what they are doing, then you can save yourself a lot of $$.
      Maybe, maybe not.

How much time and effort will go into grinding a shim down about .001"? That is half the increment of the normal shims.

Compare that time and effort with $5.28 for shims from Z1. Yeah, there is some shipping involved, but if you have other things to order, too, toss in a few shims to add to your collection, it won't change the shipping at all.

Now to the shims themselves:
      Depending on the grinder, you may have to worry about heat distortion.
      You certainly need to worry about keeping the sides parallel.
      You also need to do your grinding on the side that has the number stamped on it, because that number will now be wrong.

If you have a Suzuki dealer near you, talk to the guys in the service department.
      There are some places that will exchange shims with you. Sometimes for free, sometimes for a modest fee.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve, do you have ANY idea what a surface grinder actually is? I'm betting not

And how the heck are you talking about "heat distortion" when you are taking off .001"?

Go google or youtube "Surface Grinder", Mmmk, thanks.

Biggest problem you may run in to is the magnetic table not being able to hold the shim down because they are so thin... However, that is easily fixed by using some flat washers set around the shim.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2010, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X