No announcement yet.

Tank cleaning advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muriatic acid is simply diluted hydrochloric acid -- 33%. It normally has the same strong smell of hydrochloric acid, but a lot is sold with an odor-removing agent mixed in. Both are extremely corrosive -- so it's probably best to use the smelly stuff for safety sake.

Vinegar is basically 5% acetic acid -- nearly identical to the glacial acetic acid used in the darkroom by photographers. They dilute pure acetic acid with water to 5% for a "stop bath" -- to halt the action of the developer (which is a base solution). It is so dilute that you can put you hands in it with no ill effects -- just as you can put vinegar on your salad, etc., and swallow it.

Most soft drinks, like Coke, have a low PH -- some as low as 2. That's lower (i.e, more corrosive) than 5% acetic acid, but not as low as hydrochloric acid. The acidity in soft drink will corrode your teeth (more so than the sugar), but it takes a long time.

So while Coke or dilute acetic acid certainly might help clean out a gas tank, it will probably take quite a while.
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
      Muriatic acid is simply diluted hydrochloric acid -- 33%. It normally has the same strong smell of hydrochloric acid, but a lot is sold with an odor-removing agent mixed in. Both are extremely corrosive -- so it's probably best to use the smelly stuff for safety sake.

Vinegar is basically 5% acetic acid -- nearly identical to the glacial acetic acid used in the darkroom by photographers. They dilute pure acetic acid with water to 5% for a "stop bath" -- to halt the action of the developer (which is a base solution). It is so dilute that you can put you hands in it with no ill effects -- just as you can put vinegar on your salad, etc., and swallow it.

Most soft drinks, like Coke, have a low PH -- some as low as 2. That's lower (i.e, more corrosive) than 5% acetic acid, but not as low as hydrochloric acid. The acidity in soft drink will corrode your teeth (more so than the sugar), but it takes a long time.

So while Coke or dilute acetic acid certainly might help clean out a gas tank, it will probably take quite a while.
      It is interesting to see an old thread resurrected.

My suggestion is to get it done professionally.

Take the tank to a gas tank specialst/renewer and have them clean it and coat it.
      Some radiator shops may do it, as well.

They have all the means and the expertise to do it well.

It was a few years ago when I last did that, but it cost only a little more than buying the chemicals, so I had no headaches, no spilled chemicals or any other problem. It was perfect when it came back.
      Last edited by argonsagas; 07-08-2021, 10:33 AM.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I made the mistake of using pebbles and cheap supermarket cola to de-rust a tank. It worked really well, but took ages to get the last ones out, and there's one still in there.
        Next time I'll use a lavvy chain.

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          I made the mistake of using pebbles and cheap supermarket cola to de-rust a tank. It worked really well, but took ages to get the last ones out, and there's one still in there.
          Next time I'll use a lavvy chain.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/lavatory_chain
          Fun Fact: That type of wall mounted WC w/ pull chain was invented by Thomas CRAPPER.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Strapped mine to a cement mixer with chain and nuts and bolts inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Fun Fact: That type of wall mounted WC w/ pull chain was invented by Thomas CRAPPER.

I've dumped a 500 pack of BB's into tanks with a bit of wash-gas and just shake that tank as a Real Work-Out in all different positions and just wore myself out,but the tank turned-out nice when done.I had no idea I could just 'pull the chain' on the problem and I'd be done. LOL !! What a relief !
              Last edited by grcamna2; 07-08-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Evaporust is awesome. I thought my GS850 tank was a lost cause. I hit it with Red-Kote afterward and it's as good as new.
                Evaporust Before-After Page 002.jpg

Comment

I don't quite get it guys. I've got two 30 year old gas tanks, and I can't see any rust or corrosion anywhere in my tanks. Am I just lucky -- or missing something? The interior looks like new!

OK, I don't live in Bangladesh or Alabama.
                  sigpic
                  '77 GS550B
                  '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                  X