Totaled GS550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totaled GS550es

was hit by a taxi over the weekend, people are asking me what the replacement value of my GS550ES is. It was fully restored and out for only the second day after the 1 year restoration project. Anyone have any ideas what a collector would pay for a fully restored GS550es with matching numbers all correct?
    How do you put replacement value on a bike that you just can't readily replace.
    Feel free to pm me any help would be awesome.

I don't have a good answer for your question .. sorry that had to happen though.

You on the bike when it was crashed ?

Comment

I've never seen an '83 - '86 550es go for over 3K. Most prices I've seen of relatively clean and running bikes are between 1K and 1.5K... Not sure if a collector would be interested but I'm sure it'll be worth whatever they are willing to pay.

Comment

Whatever the replacement value of the bike, THANK GOODNESS you are still around to try and find out! Hope you weren't seriously injured! Good luck with the resolution on the bike!

Regards,

Comment

When I spoke to my insurance company about full coverage on the 82 KZ1100 I restored, they told me something like 1600 bucks would total it. I didn't really matter to them if it was perfect or just an old bike. Had to negotiate that for awhile with them and ended up coming to an agreement of $5000 replacement policy with no deductible and at the same cost, but I had to show them in advance what I really had.

Insurance company is going to try to pay you avg retail at best, so be prepared to negotiate with them. If you don't have a bunch of medical bills etc.. for them to pay, that will help.

I looked up NADA on a 95 which as old as their website goes, and it says avg retail is $855. Maybe they'll just pay you a grand and let you keep the bike without calling it a total loss??

Comment

Sorry -what a bummer.. Glad you're ok though.

Insurance companies are businesses, out there to make money, not give it away. I would estimate $2000, maybe more, to get a mint 550ES. The old rule of thumb is $3/cc for a really nice example, $2/cc for a good running example, but not perfect, and $1/cc for non-running/needing serious work.

Cycle and Cyle World both did reviews and write ups on the 83 550ES, they both loved them. May not be real, but the 83 1100ES on ebay at $4000 is how a nice example of a limited series - like your ES - can demand more than average.

Good luck with the settlement.
            Scott
            1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
            1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
            1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
            2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
            sigpic

Comment

I had to fight hard to get $1,000 for a Skunk. It would not have mattered if it were a pristine example worth thousands.
              Insurance companies don't care. If you are worried about it do something ahead of time to establish a higher value.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The Kelley Blue Book lists bike prices.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Old thread, What was the final outcome on the replacement value of your bike? I have an AGREED value policy on my 86 pristine GS550ES for $10,000. Full coverage no deductible for $332 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvette95 View Post
                    Old thread, What was the final outcome on the replacement value of your bike? I have an AGREED value policy on my 86 pristine GS550ES for $10,000. Full coverage no deductible for $332 a year.
                    You are not likely to get an answer to your question as this was posted 9 years ago by a "guest".
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

You never know what someone might pay but my guess for value for a truly pristine GS550ES would be in the $3500 range. I'm sure a lot of GSR folks would disagree though and put the price lower.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have a soft spot for these 550s, but I'd say Ed is fairly close at $3500 for a mint runner and I think that is SoCal pricing which is a premium for motorcycles.
                        I take mine out once or twice a week and it always makes smile.
                        1981 Suzuki GS250T
                        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                        1985 Suzuki GS550E
                        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

this thread is so old it wears stone underwear
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Yah, from 2010.
                            Interesting to see some of the old names that have since lapsed.
                            mriddle
                            skreemer
                            Planecrazy

tkent02 does post every few weeks

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                            X