No announcement yet.

AFR Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess throttle chops are out of the question?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      So I guess throttle chops are out of the question?
      I would need to go out of town again ; I brought a celan set of plugs yesterday but no where to really do a steady pull to check it out.

I did read the used plug I had and it looked great.

Comment

for comparision here is a guy with plots from his 06 R1. looks pretty similar to what I have on the ED.

Comment

Have you noticed any changes/improvements in fuel economy since doing this testing?

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
            Have you noticed any changes/improvements in fuel economy since doing this testing?
            Can't say much about MPG as most of the work was to acheive more consistent power delivery.

Comment

Can never have enough info.

Mikuni Manual > Click <---------

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                One final update on jetting. After ridding without the LM-2 AFR installed I started to get some low RPM sogginess. I assumed it was the needle so I dropped it all the way to the bottom groove. That was a mistake The plugs came out black after a few minutes of low throttle cruz'n.

I ordered 45 pilot jets, to replace the 47.5 Bill had installed for when I originally had the 4:1's installed. The new pilots had the holes while the old ones did not . Anyway went back to the original #2 grove position with the 45's and the bottom end is now very sweet and I got an inadvertent power rollown 2nd gear wheelie so it seems to be running crisp.

Final settings then:

Mains = 135 (down from 145)
                Grooved DJ needle = 2nd grove from the bottom (down from 3 1/2)
                Pilot jet = 45 (down from 47.5)
                Mixture screws were set for max RPM = close to 2 turns (was 1.5)
                Float height 22mm (unchanged)

I'm assuming that the fatter needle and smaller Main are to compensate for the 4:2:1 v.s. 4:1 flow characteristics. Dyno Time?

Just a note, After changing the pilots and checking the float heights , I reinstalled the carbs and the bike stumbled at idle and ran higher idle. I assumed it was the pilot change. After digging out the Balance gauges and calibrating them I realized that the chock cable was not seated and it was partially pulling causing one set of carbs to be more open that the others (Duh).

Anyway basically the pilots did not affect any of the carb throttle balance settings
                Good info here, thank you.
                Do you know what size pilot air jet you are running?

Comment

All I can say is WOW! Thank you for all of that info! It's VERY helpful and informative! Lots of work.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                    Good info here, thank you.
                    Do you know what size pilot air jet you are running?
                    I can only assume it is stock; I never changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by TSCC View Post
                      Can never have enough info.

Mikuni Manual > Click <---------
                      I am using the Mikuni BS36 carbs that probably came from a Canadian GSX1150

Comment

Sorry if I missed this information (haven't read the thread carefully), but...

Can somebody point me to instructions for installing an AFR meter on a bike?
                        Can the probe go down in the collector?
                        Can a "temporary" installation be done instead of having to weld on a bung?
                        Has anybody tried one of the inexpensive AFR meters? (some on ebay are about $25, plus another $15 for a "universal" 4 wire probe)

Comment

Working...
                        X