Gas in the oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in the oil

I have had my carbs re-done 2 times now trying to stop the gas from getting into my oil with no luck, so my next assumption would be the head gasket. Would I be right? Any help will be appreciated.

I would check the petcock,the needle valve on the floats are not always sufficient enough to stop the flow of fuel.
    81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Gas in the oil

The petcock is only about a year old, but it doesn't turn easily, it is hard to turn the value on it. I have one in a 82 GS 1100GK do you think it will fit in my GS 850L? Should I buy a new one again. I did have a liner put in my gas tank that started to come out, so I had to install an in line fuel filter. That may be the problem, the petcock is clogged with the liner. I wish I was a mechanic! I would know all of this.

Comment

I think you are on the right track.Did you put the filter on after liner failed?Could be trash in carbs.Do a search on how to test the petcock,and as much as you might not want to hear this you will need to take care of the tank problem and most likely have to do a proper carb cleaning again.Oh and do not take your carbs to just anyone who says they can do it.We have qualified members that would gladly help you out(walk you through the proses)Do you have a manual?
        Last edited by yank; 08-22-2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I put an in line filter on it and then had the carbs cleaned, will it still get into the carbs with the filter on the gas line?

Comment

Go back to my last post.Take time read,and use the search function.You can do it.

Comment

You're petcock's only a year old and it's hard to turn? That sounds like a problem.

There's a great tutorial on Bass Cliff's website on carb cleaning. If you follow it methodically, it's a relatively simple process.

Btw, when my petcock failed, it did allow gas to get into my oil.

Comment

gas in oil

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Comment

My petcock gave up so I leave it in the prime position now and installed one that installed in the line and you can turn on and off by hand. Cost me 15 dollars on that auction place. An inline filter would be fine as long as your tank isn't shedding to badly, in which case it would plug up in no time. It was quite easy to route my line, I used blue clear line (looks good) and the shut off is right below the tank and easy to get to. Just don't forget to turn it off or even more embarrassing, turn it on. I always remember to turn it off but many is the time that I drive away too eager and start to stumble a bit down the road. Hope this helps. Did someone mention head gasket? Nah, carbs dribbling over sounds more like the culprit to me. Good luck! Peace

Comment

Bass cliff website

How do I find Bass Cliffs website?

Comment

Originally posted by Lambo View Post
                      How do I find Bass Cliffs website?
                      Here y'are, should also be in the mega welcome he gave you

Comment

Thanks

I'm still trying to learn how to navigate on here. Thanks for the directions.

Comment

Working...
                        X