gs550 lx seat/handlebar mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 lx seat/handlebar mods

so i have an`81 gs550 lx that i want to do some mods to. im not a fan of the banana/king queen seat on it and was wondering what i could do to make it more like a cafe racer type seat. i didnt know if maybe there was a model of bike that had a different style seat but that attached to the frame the same way. also, i would like to put clipon bars on it as well but i cant find any specs on the mm of the forks. any input would be great. im kinda at a loss for what to do.

According to this awesome list of measurements, a 1981 Suzuki GS550LX's fork tube is 35 mm. The link is below.

And the seat... You could just cut the foam to your liking then get it reupholstered. Or you could buy a premade cafe seat/tail piece. And as always, you can make your own. Also, since motorcycles of 1970-1985 had a very similar design, you could get a seat from a different model motorcycle and make it fit with little modifications, as long as they are the same style. A popular mod is using the tail piece from a Kawasaki KZ then making a custom seat to flow with the tail piece.

Comment

Check out mine, below (or see my album) or the GS750 cafe build thread at http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=gs750+cafe

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
        Check out mine, below (or see my album) or the GS750 cafe build thread at http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=gs750+cafe
        Cool looking bike. What happened to your fork tube covers? What are they from? I used a new set for a Triumph T-100 and they aren't collasped.

Comment

They're cheap dirt bike fork boots. I'll probably go back to the stock wipers, unless I can find a pair of street bike boots at a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
          X