Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Charging System QUICK TEST

Quote Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
    Ohms law is V=IR

Relating that to the pictured analogy, the voltage push (or pressure) required to overcome a given ohm resistance is in proportion to the amount of current in amp (flow) you want.

For a given R ohms, Current increases with voltage.

All of these forms are the same law; if you know the value any two, you can solve for the third.

V=I*R
    I=V/R
    R=V/I

In the case of your low battery

I=V/R (assume R is constant)
    A lower V gives a lower I.

What does that have to do with heat? heat is the accumulation of energy converted to heat. Like if you burn a wooden stick, the energy in the stick turns to heat, current pushed through R gives off heat in a similar way. In fact this is considered an ideal conversion of energy to heat.

Electrical power is given by P = I*V (in words the voltage times the current is electrical power). Substitution for i or V we get two different forms

P = IV=I^2*R = V^2/R

In P=I^2*R we see power is proportional to resistance R for any given I^2.
    Thanks for taking the time! I went outside and found the battery fully charged by the tender, so proceeded to do the quick test. The loose negative battery connection was probably causing the no-start situation I experienced after a 50 mile ride yesterday. The battery is about 3 years old (Yuasa), so I'll replace it regardless. Here are some numbers..
    Key Off = 13.15
    Key On = 12.33
    Idle =12.66
    2500 rpm (approx) = 12.80
    5000 rpm (approx) = 12.89
    Key Off =12.89.

Paid attention to the r/r bullet connectors... the wires do get hotter on the side after the connectors (away from r/r), but not super hot where they cannot be handled etc. The connectors certainly need to be refreshed.

Edit: Took another reading about 15 mins after shut down (no battery tender applied) and battery reads 12.66.
    Last edited by Mysuzyq; 07-03-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    '82 GS1100E

Quote Originally Posted by themess View Post
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

posplayr is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Your stator is outputting pitifully but none of it is getting to the battery.
    check your stator. Leg to leg and leg to ground test in phase b of stator pages.
    if you fail that it is probably s burned stator because of s shunt r/r; join the stator pages aware club.
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

Okay, will do, thanks. Think I have a new stator in storage somewhere, bought about 15 years ago!
    A friend was supposed to buy this bike last month, to export to Europe. Didn't go through due to the Covid travel situation. I'm glad he did not buy it, only to immediately have problems.
    '82 GS1100E

Quote Originally Posted by themess View Post
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.