Tubeless GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubeless GS1100

Well I finally got around to changing the way old Dunlop rubber on my 1100. Thanks to everyone that chimed in on the tire size questions I had a week or so ago. I went with the Bridgestone Spitfires and removed the old Dunlops via the wanky harbor freight jig.

I thought these diecast rims were tubeless? To my surprise, I found tubes.
    Is this common?

I drilled out the rims with a step drill and popped a stem on the rim, slipped on the new rubber (which weighed like 6 pounds less than the old dunlops)
    and everything is peachy.

Just wondering if anyone else runs tubsless on these diecast rims?

-j

Originally posted by mrbridgeport View Post
    Well I finally got around to changing the way old Dunlop rubber on my 1100. Thanks to everyone that chimed in on the tire size questions I had a week or so ago. I went with the Bridgestone Spitfires and removed the old Dunlops via the wanky harbor freight jig.

I thought these diecast rims were tubeless? To my surprise, I found tubes.
    Is this common?

I drilled out the rims with a step drill and popped a stem on the rim, slipped on the new rubber (which weighed like 6 pounds less than the old dunlops)
    and everything is peachy.

Just wondering if anyone else runs tubsless on these diecast rims?

-j
    have run tubeless, just need to watch the rim to make sure it is clean as corrosion has developed and caused slow leaks on mine.
    Last edited by posplayr; 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

That's good to know. I rubbed the rims down (where the bead would be) with some good sandpaper and made sure there were no big dings etc. I'll keep a lookout for corrosion.

Comment

This thread is a recent discussion about running tubeless tires on the old cast rims. Lots of info about making this decision.

While lots of people do it, there are two things of concern:

Safety of tubeless tires on rims not designed as such, and,

Insurance companies possibly denying a claim or insurance if properly certified and compatible tires and rims aren't used.

Where I live we are seeing increasing scrutiny of bike crashes and mention about safety issues. This is one example

Comment

Working...
        X