Ummm Help? (I know very specific)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummm Help? (I know very specific)

So I'm currently on a cross country trip taking Route 50 all the way from DC to Cali. I started out in NY and it's been a pleasure so far. I'm riding on a 1981 GS650L and right around the time I hit Kansas City it has started acting up. First my Speedo stopped working, and then when I came to a stop at a light the RPMs would drop until it stalled out. I made it to a family member's house in NW Kansas (Ramona KS) and replaced all the sparkplugs on the bike (one of them was almost completely black), I also took apart the airbox and found the filter was soaked with oil/gas. I'm assuming the one plug wasn't firing and so a bunch of crap was blown back through and so in addition to this I also picked up some seafoam and have been running that through the tank. Since I took out the filter and changed the plugs it's running a bit better, I also adjusted the idle screw on the carbs. Since doing all this it won't just die but just something feels off about it. The other thing that makes me nervous is that even before all this the seals around the cams on top were old and leaked a little oil. Ok no big deal, but now it seems like the oil is thinner and diluted and coming out more, I'll try and get pics on here ASAP but I'm just freaked that I have a major issue that is going to kill my trip and leave me stranded out here.

change your oil and put in the correct amount..20-50w wouldn't hurt on a long trip like this.
    your getting oil in the air box because your oil level is to full and or your oil is contaminated with gas and thinned out and pumping into the air box through the crank case ventilation system(top of valve cover).

the speedo has nothing to do with your running problems.

Comment

Yeah I know, the speedo is a seperate issue, just a quick listing of the crap going on. So I've been dropping 10W 40 in as the bike calls for but you're saying that it's too thin? Did the sparkplug not firing have something to do with that as well? I'm learning my way around the bike but still am a novice. Oh and duh the another telling sign is that when I start the bike up I'm getting smoke, I'm hoping that it's just from the seafoam kicking stuff out but like I said, I'm new at this.

Comment

Yeah, I vote for gas in crankcase. Probably from leaking petcock during stopovers or from petcock vacuum line dumping extra fuel into #2 carb. Plug vacuum line- both at carb and petcock end. Use prime position until you resolve this problem- turn on/off as needed. Change oil, replace or dry out plugs and air filter. Seafoam won't help here. You'll see smoke until crankcase clears of lingering fuel. I'm glad you had relatives close by!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok so I changed out the plugs and cleaned and dried the air filter so basically I just need to do an oil change and that should help make the difference? Now the filter has maybe 1000 miles on it, can i just drain the oil, put in new, and keep the filter?

Comment

i would change the filter to..
            MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT OVER FILL YOUR BIKE.

Comment

No I tend to do 3 quarts, start the bike to fill the filter and then eyeball the sightglass as I put in the remaining amount. The biggest concern I have is that there's literally nothing around here and it'll take me a week to have something shipped in. Is it possible to run the bike about 300 miles towards Denver or the nearest supply shop in order to get the filter as well as anything else I might need? Should I do the oil change now, keep the filter and then just change it out ASAP?

Comment

Filters are cheap, who knows what's been circulating around your oil system- you do want to keep riding right? Once you get it running right, check to make sure no oil leaks from new places. If I remember right, there is a small drain plug for shaft drive front section ( remove cover next to gear shift); look in a manual or wait for someone else to confirm this. I'd make sure this gets drained. It will fill up when you add oil.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also, make SURE you are checking the oil when the bike is on a level surface & standing STRAIGHT UP, not leaned over on the side stand. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Also, make SURE you are checking the oil when the bike is on a level surface & standing STRAIGHT UP, not leaned over on the side stand. Ray.
                    what this bad MO-FO just said!!
                    WORD!!

Comment

No wonder I'm using so much oil!
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Would someone really do that . I vote gas in the oil too. Probably got a hung up needle / seat. Keep using the recommended amount of sea foam. It might clear it out.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

lol Yes the center stand is our friend. I've been checking it intermittently when I stop for gas and yes I try to do it when it's as level as possible. Now I'm just trying to find a place that will carry the filter I need. It's pretty much 50 miles to ANYWHERE around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronos View Post
                            lol Yes the center stand is our friend. I've been checking it intermittently when I stop for gas and yes I try to do it when it's as level as possible. Now I'm just trying to find a place that will carry the filter I need. It's pretty much 50 miles to ANYWHERE around here.
                            re-read...
                            no center stand..check on its tires on level ground(you may need a helper.
                            just crack your filter cover and let it drain...
                            re tighten..get back on the road if its fixed.
                            do not over fill!

Comment

Also, the foam air filter is meant to be oiled after cleaned. Dry may cause minor running issues if the 'suction' is anticipating oil on the filter. They sell special oil for that, but some I think just use motor oil....

Comment

Working...
                              X