No announcement yet.

Ummm Help? (I know very specific)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea which it is? I have some clean motor oil I can use but is there a specific type and should I just lightly dip it and then work it around on the filter? How do you recommend oiling it?

Comment

BTW this is what the engine is looking like since I've had the issue, it used to leak a little oil but not like this.

Comment

Handy dandy Clymer manual says:

"Apply engine oil or special air filter oil to the element and gently work the foam in your hands until the element is completely saturated with oil. Squeeze the element between your plams to removed all the excess oil.

NOTE This job is less messy if you place the element and filter oil in a plastic bag.

NOTE: A good grade of special air filter oil provides better protection against dirt and moisture than plane engine oil."

If what you have handy is motor oil that should be fine. Maybe after you're trip and sometime next spring repeat clean/oil with air filter oil.

Also, on the oil leak picture, something to watch IMO. My oil comes out in a stream when the bike is running. That you'd have to fix.

Comment

I also just pulled the new plugs that I put in and have ridden about 100 miles on. These two are from the left hand side when sitting on the bike. The one on the left that looks black is from the inner cylinder. Any ideas what's causing it to get this bad so quickly?

Comment

As to your old oil pic; That looks like it's from a intentionally plugged hole left over from Manufacturing process- they drilled a hole here to meet up with another coming from some other direction ( probably oil supply line ) and then they plug it up. Sometimes the plugs fail. As to your sparkplugs, left side inner plug is good old #2 cylinder- the lucky guy who gets the petcock vacuum line to cherish. You did block it off, right????
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No I Haven't blocked it yet, how do I go about doing this? Is it posted somewhere else on here step by step?

Comment

Not a lot of room to play with, so I would remove seat and remove two bolts holding rear of gas tank. Now you can tilt rear of tank up slightly and get hands on the vacuum line that runs from petcock to #2 carb- see Basscliff's site and look for " where do these hoses go " pics.Pull hose straight up and off #2 carb-Don't be surprised if gas runs out. plug this line with bolt or dowel, then find something- more hose with plug- to block off the nipple on the carb. Make sure you plug carb!!!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok now if I plug this though am I going to be able to run this to a real shop? How far can I bring it and how will this effect the engine etc? Is this just a temp fix until i hit a shop? Sorry, just frustrated and stranded in nowhere and want back on the road asap. Was just reading an older thread about installing an in line manual fuel shut off, think this is viable to keep me going or what? Right now I'm in NE Kansas and the nearest shop is Salina which is still 50-60 miles away.

Comment

Relax, you're on an adventure and this is just a detour! It would be nice to know if petcock vacuum hose is leaking gas into #2cylinder and putting gas into crankcase- a common problem. But who knows? IF, IF, IF this is the problem, sure,keep it blocked off till you replace petcock. But before you ride off into sunset, let's try to determine if this is the problem!
                    If you get it blocked off, use prime on petcock and go for spin and see if #2 plug clears up. After spin, move petcock lever to ON or RES to block fuel when it's not running. Beware, if petcock is toast ,fuel could still leak down no matter where petcock is set.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Oh I see, by blocking the vacuum line I'm essentially making the on and reserve positions off. Now when running prime, that won't make it run too rich? As you may have guessed this is my first bike and I've done all the basic maintenance on it but the internal more complicated stuff is driving me a little nuts. Alright so first thing tomorrow is block off the vacuum line and take it out. Should I sscrub the black off the plug and how far should I take it out? Should I do this and then the oil change? And finally... There aren't any bike shops, what oil should I use in the meantime till I get real stuff? I appreciate the help and more importantly, the patience.

Comment

Hi Mr. Cronos,

Just to be sure you see it, here is your "mega-welcome". Read it and my website and it will answer a lot of your questions.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Prime just lets fuel flow to carbs whether engine is running or not. It doesn't enrich mixture. Sure clean plugs up. Avoid any auto oils especially those that have energy saving label on them . Rotella oil is very popular around here- designed for diesels, so it should be available at lots of places. Try 15-40 if you can't find 10-40. either will work fine.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Ok so I just put some caps on the vacuum and the carb and cleaned the sparkplug #2 up and ran it 5-10 minutes around the block, already sounds better but you think that's enough to tell if it's gonna blacken #2 again? Should I take it out longer?

Comment

Did you change oil yet? Doing that and running it should clean up crankcase of fuel. Just running it will determine if #2 plug is no longer fouling. Make sure that plug/cap on carb is secure!!! If it comes off, that cylinder will run too lean.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Didn't change the oil yet but yeah the plug is still clean so that's a step in the right direction. So thank you Tom you're now one of my new hetero lifemates, or at least I owe you a drink. Now that I know the plug situation is better and won't contaminate the oil further I'll do the oil change and then can hopefully be on the road tomorrow. Meanwhile I need to hunt down a speedo drive so I can know how fast I'm going besides just from passing everyone. Thanks for the help and if you know any places for parts between salina ks and Denver let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X